• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short vacation in Madrid, suggestions?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm blatantly ripping off binge's title. My fiance and I are going to Madrid for about five days in mid-October. Accommodations are already handled. I'm looking for recommendations for activities, restaurants, bars, shops, etc.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I <3 Madrid.

My girl keeps track of names and places, but there was a famous restaurant that all the bullfighters go to after a fight. Food was only ok, but the atmosphere after a fight was excellent.

I'm guessing any concierge would know the name of it

K

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Madrid is so awesome. I'm sure there are a ton of great restaurants there, but I went when I was a poor student so I didn't get to go to any of them. There were tons of great tapas bars, but I don't remember the names as I had a friend who lived there who showed me around. Some give you free tapas (not that great though) when you buy drinks.

I did make a point of going to the &quot;touristy&quot; Restaurant Botin, because it was one of my favorite writer's favorite restaurants (and also the oldest restaurant in the world). The sucking pig was pretty amazing.

I also got a drink at the Ritz Carlton by the Prado which was nice. They have this real badass owl that keeps pigeons at bay.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Madrid is so awesome. I'm sure there are a ton of great restaurants there, but I went when I was a poor student so I didn't get to go to any of them. There were tons of great tapas bars, but I don't remember the names as I had a friend who lived there who showed me around. Some give you free tapas (not that great though) when you buy drinks.

I did make a point of going to the "touristy" Restaurant Botin, because it was one of my favorite writer's favorite restaurants (and also the oldest restaurant in the world). The sucking pig was pretty amazing.

I also got a drink at the Ritz Carlton by the Prado which was nice. They have this real badass owl that keeps pigeons at bay.

Botin is worth a visit if you have time. Pig was pretty good as was the lamb, but its also a really nice / old / intimate atmosphere for a relaxed dinner with the lady.

K

darnelled

Reaction score
I went to their modern art museum twice. If you like Picasso, Miro or Dali it's a must. If not into modern art, they have 2-3 others (can't remember names) that are top notch too.

Get ready for dinner at 10 pm, hitting bars until 6 am and afternoon siestas when things shut down.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh don't worry about the siestas too much. There's always those Chinese convenience stores that are always open. But yeah, things start late there.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus

Its still just the Ritz (no Carlton).

Once you have seen the galleries, shops and palace etc perhaps you could take a trip out to Toledo and if you have time Aranjuez or in the other direction the Escorial, Avila and/or Segovia.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just returned from my trip and had a great time. We skipped Restaurant Botin in favor of Casa Lucio, which is similarly well-known and just down the street. The huevos estrellados were fantastic, and I really enjoyed the suckling pig. While waiting at the bar, King Juan Carlos walked in with the President of Lebanon. It was rather unusual to witness. Otherwise for meals, we'd pick a neighborhood and just jump from place to place, eating tapas and drinking. I don't remember the names of most of the places. It was easiest just to get a feel for the crowd inside and stop in if it looked good. The Prado and the Reina Sofia are both very good museums, and we were able to catch the last bullfight of the year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics