• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short ties - 56" and under

SkinnyT

Reaction score
I have been searching everywhere - brick n mortar and online - for ties suitable for shorter men like me. I would like to be able to tie a four in hand knot, which is impossible when you're only 5'8" and the tie is 60" long. I am forced to tie a windsor, which in my opinion only suits tall and big men.

Is there anyone who does short ties and which don't cost 100 dollars?

WhereNext

Reaction score
Go to Sam Hober's website. I think most of their ties ring it at under $100 and you can get them customized any which way (including making them whatever length you like).

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there anyone who does short ties and which don't cost 100 dollars?

The Tie Bar offers hundreds of its ties in a choice of lengths - regular length is 58", long is 63", and Boys is 48".

Frankly, I have a hard time believing that a 48" tie would work well for a man 5'8" in height. If it were me, I'd just buy regular length ties, and get them shortened. (Shortening a tie is a whole lot easier than lengthening one, after all. I suspect most competent alterations tailors could do a decent job of it.)

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a 5'5" guy I share your pain but there are lots of options. And I think you'll be fine at your height with anything that's 58" or less. At worst, you can always double-4IH it. My experience is the thicker the fabric/lining, the longer the tie can be.

In addition to Hober, with whom I don't have any first-hand experience, here are three...

1) Ebay - they even have a search selection field for shorter length and you'll find tons of brooks brothers and other nice ties. More than you'd think. That's generally for the pre-owned, sub-$50 range.

2) Drake's 8cm (3.15") standard length is 147cm (57.8")

3) Vanda - you can have them make any size you want of the fabrics they have, and we're talking length and width.

bertie

Reaction score
Hober - you will also benefit from the relatively conservative patterns relative to many other retailers. More than $25 but less than $100.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hober - you will also benefit from the relatively conservative patterns relative to many other retailers. More than $25 but less than $100.

Oh yeah, missed the sub-$100 part. Vanda is out. Drakes you can find on sale sometimes.

SkinnyT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Hober appears to be the best, since you can choose both width and length. However, they are very expensive, especially since I would have to pay various taxes (they ship from Thailand and I'm in Europe).

I'm at a loss why everyone seems to make such long ties. It explains why everyone I know sports a huge Windsor knot. Even at 5'10", a four-in-hand knot would eave some excess fabric, unless you have very lowrise pants.

I have come across this website TieCreators - has anyone heard of them? They make a 'Youth' tie at 53" length and 3" width (https://www.tiecreators.com/tie-specification). Still not perfect; I would prefer a slightly slimmer tie - 2.7". This length tie specifically is 65 dollars, but if you make a large order, the price comes down drastically. 10 ties = 29 dollars (27 euro) each.

llamaone

Reaction score

And I think you'll be fine at your height with anything that's 58" or less.

This. I'm 5'10" and prefer a 59-60" tie, which leaves the back blade about 1-2" shorter than the front blade. Unless you have very odd proportions, a 57-58" tie should be about right for you at 5'8". This length is pretty common in most RTW ties these days. Try Kent Wang--their standard length is 57", offer a 3.5" or 3" width (I strongly discourage anything under 3", no matter how short/small your frame), have plenty of classic offerings, and prices are reasonable. Of course, Sam Hober is always a great option as well.

Also keep in mind that it's perfectly acceptable--and some ever prefer--to have the back blade be just as long as the front blade when tied. Or even for the back blade to be longer by an inch or so.

Last edited:

SkinnyT

Reaction score
For a four in hand knot, 58" still doesn't work for me. I need 56" or less. This is with the back blade and front blade at equal length.

Bear in mind that there are many other factors that determine where the tie falls - it's not just height:

Neck girth - I'm a 15". A bigger guy would use up more fabric.

Waist size - I'm a 29. The bigger the stomach the more fabric is used because the tie sort of rolls over the stomach.

And then I like a rather small knot and I also want the tie to sit above the belt rather than cover it.

I agree that 3 inch width would be ideal

Last edited:

llamaone

Reaction score
Well, you certainly know what you need more than anyone else. Sounds like Hober would be your best bet. Good luck to you. :)

SkinnyT

Reaction score
For those of you interested, I've finally discovered a German brand that does 56" ties, which I think is a perfect length for men 5'6" to 5'9" who prefer the 'four in hand' knot. They come in two widths: 2.4inch (6cm) and 3inch (7.5cm) and they are all 100% silk. Priced very reasonably at between 30 and 55 dollars or so. The brand is called Eterna - https://www.eterna.de/en/.

Last edited:

not an icon

Reaction score
If you like those ties, go for it, but to me those ties scream assistant night manager. I'd much rather wear a nice tie with a half Windsor than an ugly tie with a 4 in hand.

SkinnyT

Reaction score
If you like those ties, go for it, but to me those ties scream assistant night manager. I'd much rather wear a nice tie with a half Windsor than an ugly tie with a 4 in hand.

I'm looking for conservative ties and patterns, similar to what Daniel Craig wears:

They do have ugly ties, but aren't these similar to the above? Or do I need to get my eyes checked?

https://www.eterna.de/en/men/ties/eterna-silk-tie-navy-white-patterned-7.5-cm-wide-14881

https://www.eterna.de/en/men/ties/eterna-silk-tie-gray-11059

https://www.eterna.de/en/men/ties/eterna-silk-tie-blue-eyed-7.5-cm-wide-14877

https://www.eterna.de/en/men/ties/eterna-tie-black-6758

Last edited:

not an icon

Reaction score
It's not for me to tell you what types of ties to like. My real point was to remind you to not let the 4 in hand tail wag the dog. That said, the ties you are looking at just look cheap. I think it was already mentioned, but ebay allows you to filter by length and width. You can get a short, narrow used good quality (eg,Polo or BB) for<$20.

SkinnyT

Reaction score

It's not for me to tell you what types of ties to like. My real point was to remind you to not let the 4 in hand tail wag the dog. That said, the ties you are looking at just look cheap. I think it was already mentioned, but ebay allows you to filter by length and width. You can get a short, narrow used good quality (eg,Polo or BB) for<$20.

What about them looks cheap? I'm new to ties and I'm open to learning. What makes the ties in the photos look more expensive than the those in the links?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads