• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short term retirement plan - Where to go?

gilwood

Reaction score
So I have 1 more year left to go in a contract. I'm making some good $$ & not spending any. If I play my cards right I should have a pile of cash by next year.

Where would you guys go if you had about $50k in cash? I'd like someplace warm, cheap and maybe play a little golf. I also need some "excuse" to put on my resume for when the cash ran out.

I'm thinking - rent an apt in Thailand for a year, live it up there, whilest remotely working on a PhD. Thereby I could live cheap, have a blast & still have a respectable resume.

Any better ideas? Costa Rica would be nice too...

Milpool

Reaction score
PhD???

Did you see the thread in CE about PhDs? Also, 1 year isn't much time for a PhD. Are you planning to finish that?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you been to Thailand? Living on $50k will last a while, but it wont be luxury.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Have you been to Thailand? Living on $50k will last a while, but it wont be luxury.

I've been to Phuket. It was pretty nice, but then again, I was staying in a hotel.

No plans to finish the PhD, just need an excuse to write on the resume.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why don't you say you were working on business development?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go to one of two places - thailand, but not the western islands (phuket) I'd go to the far south east. much nicer, less touristy. if I were in your shoes, I'd go to one of those islands to a bungalow place, one of those little "villages" of huts on a beach, and make a deal with the owners for a room, laundry and food. you could probably stay for 3-5 years or more on 50K. very simple conditions, but right on the beach, sun, there are bars within a few minutes moped ride.

other choice - cartegna in colombia. very old city, beautiful. beaches, warm, nice archetecture. you could rent a small apartment in the old city. again, you could probrably live there for a couple of years on 50 K.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I'd go to one of two places - thailand, but not the western islands (phuket) I'd go to the far south east. much nicer, less touristy. if I were in your shoes, I'd go to one of those islands to a bungalow place, one of those little "villages" of huts on a beach, and make a deal with the owners for a room, laundry and food. you could probably stay for 3-5 years or more on 50K. very simple conditions, but right on the beach, sun, there are bars within a few minutes moped ride.

other choice - cartegna in colombia. very old city, beautiful. beaches, warm, nice archetecture. you could rent a small apartment in the old city. again, you could probrably live there for a couple of years on 50 K.

If you do something like this you have to be very comfortable by yourself, because there's not going to be that much going on.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I'd take the $50k and move to NYC (for two weeks). Make a list of all of the VCs, angels, and super-angels with more money than sense. Spend a couple of days working up a killer PPT deck, make the rounds until you convince one or more of them that you've got a *can't miss* idea for a social media start-up, being sure to use the right buzz words, such as *monetization scheme,* *pivot,* and *exit strategy* and dropping names such as Fred Wilson, Charlie O'Donnell, and Mark Suster.

Once you've got about $500k in hand, disappear to wherever you were going to go in the first place, put your wife, girlfriend, or mistress on the payroll (as CIO), buy a sailboat and a lot of expensive booze, and live large for several years. You've just increased your $50k by an order of magnitude. MIT grants PhDs for such things!

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
So I have 1 more year left to go in a contract. I'm making some good $$ & not spending any. If I play my cards right I should have a pile of cash by next year. Where would you guys go if you had about $50k in cash? I'd like someplace warm, cheap and maybe play a little golf. I also need some "excuse" to put on my resume for when the cash ran out. I'm thinking - rent an apt in Thailand for a year, live it up there, whilest remotely working on a PhD. Thereby I could live cheap, have a blast & still have a respectable resume. Any better ideas? Costa Rica would be nice too...
costa rica is not cheap, go to panama it would cost about 60% what life in tico land would cost. to be exact i mean northern panama

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
What about Croatia? Beaches, mountains, brunette women, fairly cheap, proximity to half a dozen other countries, etc. Zadar
croatia.jpg
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik%202.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Terrible idea. You spent all your time accumulating a **** load of money just to waste it away sitting on your ass? So you burn through it and then what? go back to the working world with no cushion? Take a 3month leave of absence and live somewhere 2nd world - Croatia looks good.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know who goes to Croatia names it their favorite place in the world.

My sister lived in Thailand for 3 months, loved it too.

Hard to go wrong with either should you choose to go through with something like this...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
What about Croatia?

After thinking about this some more, this is still a great idea and you should take the advice. I'd like to be able to say I convinced a stranger to move to Croatia.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Terrible idea. You spent all your time accumulating a **** load of money just to waste it away sitting on your ass? So you burn through it and then what? go back to the working world with no cushion? Take a 3month leave of absence and live somewhere 2nd world - Croatia looks good.

Not a bad idea either. What excuse could I give my job to take a 3 month leave of absence?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
Not a bad idea either. What excuse could I give my job to take a 3 month leave of absence?

Funny that you asked. Depending on your age, you could just enroll in graduate school and spend a summer or semester abroad (that's my plan anyway but in a comfy first world spot). If you are past that point, sit down with your boss and ask for some personal time off. After your contract is up, just take the three months off. While on break, half ass some projects and put that on your resume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads