• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short sleeve shirts with a sport coat

Patek14

Reaction score
How much of a sin is this: Wearing a short sleeve shirt (such as a polo) with a sportcoat? I've never done it but I am considering it. I work in a business casual environment and its getting cooler. I usually wear a cardigan outdoors take my jacket/sweater off indoors.

I am tired of wearing cardigans all the time.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never, don't do it don't even think about doing it for one more second.

eyeframeking

Reaction score
Really never thought about it. upload a pic if you ever do it..
bounce2.gif

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This was discussed on here just a few days ago. No approved by the SF elite but some on here, me included, believe it can be made to work. Youbhave to have a decent polo such as lacoste, not the one you got at the company picnic, one button unfastened, flat lying collar, decent colour that is not washed out. Long sleeves in the winter.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Sir, there is no forgivness for that sin.

EZ

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a forum of fundamentalists.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, no, and no. I consider myself to be more 'liberal' than most of the iGents here, yet even I think its a bad idea...

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you and the jacket are slim enough and the shirt is equally well fitting and you are wearing some good trousers or jeans it can be done. It will clash to some people, but if fit is spot on the look will come off well. To other people, they will just see you in a sport jacket and say "wow where you going to a wedding?"

malat

Reaction score
Probably works in Miami, ala Crockett and Tubbs

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
This was discussed on here just a few days ago. No approved by the SF elite but some on here, me included, believe it can be made to work. Youbhave to have a decent polo such as lacoste, not the one you got at the company picnic, one button unfastened, flat lying collar, decent colour that is not washed out. Long sleeves in the winter.

Yea because the lacoste symbol is AWESOME. Please post a picture wearing a lacoste polo shirt (preferably in a loud bright color) with a sport coat. Bet it would look lovely.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twosnapsandgo
Yea because the lacoste symbol is AWESOME. Please post a picture wearing a lacoste polo shirt (preferably in a loud bright color) with a sport coat. Bet it would look lovely.

laugh.gif

Nah, I like the quality of lacoste shirts but don't care about the symbol and would quite happily cut them off if I thought I could do it without messing up the shirts. Anyway you can't see the croc when you're wearing the jacket. White or one of the many shades of blue that they do would look OK IMO under a blazer with jeans ... I dunno, like I've said on here before I just think open collar shirts sans tie looks sloppy and while I don't like the IT techie look for business casual (polo and pleated dockers) I think I dislike the 'uniform of the unimaginative' (OCBD and dockers) even more.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally rad if your name happens to be Dwight Schrute.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads