Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Short sleeve jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alchimiste, Mar 3, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

I have seen what appeared to be a short sleeve jacket in the show window of a tailor. It looked like a suit jacket or a sport coat, except that it had short sleeves. Although it's pretty hot in Singapore I don't think that people actually wear something like this. Is it fashion-forward or simply some old fabric that was used to make part of a suit for show?

Mathieu

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Are you sure it wasn't an unfinished jacket?

3. stache

stache Senior member

I saw a str8 guy wearing something like that in the N.Y. Garment Dist. in 1978. It looked pretty weird.

4. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Which tailor had this? I'll like to take a look as I am pretty curious as to what it looks like.

WJTW

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

in israel young men in the security business used to wear these, going back a while. the idea was that you wanted to hide your weapons under a jacket, but it was hot and you also didn't want to be encombered by a suit jacket. they were single breasted, usually in thick cotton, with large patch pockets and small weights sewn in the corners so that when you opened the jacket quickly the inertia would swing the jacket open wide quickly.

6. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I've seen people with short sleeve suit coats in Japan during the summer a couple of times. Usually older men.

I'd say "worst look ever" but someone will inevitably prove me wrong.

7. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

That's what I thought at first. But the chest was done and the sleeve was cut short, like on a short sleeve shirt not like it was not finished.

8. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Last Saturday I went to a few tailors and walked by many more. I did not enter this store so I paid less attention to the name than to those of the tailors from whom I actually ordered something. I should go pick up my stuff tomorrow so I may walk past it again.

Mathieu

9. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

The suit was made by Maharajah's. It is in the show window across the hallway from their store in the Mandarin hotel shopping center. The tailor told me it was a "safari suit". This was a common kind of suit in Indonesia some years ago.

Mathieu

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No, I think that might be the winner. Oh, God I am picturing it now... [​IMG] Jon.

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Make sure that you picture the sleeves the right way. The coat sleeves should end right below the swell of the biceps so that you can show a half inch of short sleeve "dress" shirt and draw full attention to your elbows. [​IMG]