• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Short Meal Before a 5 AM Workout

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I recently started going to the gym at 5:00 AM a few days a week. I've found it really difficult to get my energy levels up at this early hour, which I guess can be expected. A longer warm-up routine seems to help, but I think I need to alter my eating habits a little.

Can anyone suggest a quick and short meal I can eat directly before a workout that will help fill my stomach and give me a little more energy?

I'm thinking of something that won't make me want to vomit after 5 minutes on the treadmill. Maybe a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or a granola bar?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like greek yogurt (Fage is better than Chobani, IMO) with some berries and/or nuts. I always used to eat this before taking my daily run, and never once did it upset my stomach.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Coffee pretty well does it for me. You might consider a gel though for some carbs. Sometimes in mid-run I'll opt for a clif blok, which is sugar + salt in a chewy gelatin form.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I go at the same time. I'll do a caffeine pill some mornings when I'm not feeling it. I drink a decent amount of water while I'm there plus a green tea on the way to and haven't had any dehydration issues.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
No worries about dehydration with the coffee?

Don't worry about this, dehydration due to caffeinated drinks is overkill. I'll dig up the article that studied this if I can find it.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as the OP and I generally eat two big bites off a chocolate balance bar (ie half a bar) and drink about 6 ounces of milk. It seems to be just the right amount for me to get going but not feel full at the gym.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cottage cheese for the BCAA's plus some kind of carb.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually go with a yogurt or a hard-boiled egg, either of which gives sufficient energy for an early morning workout. Don't forget to eat a proper breakfast shortly after the workout...

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a decent bcaa supp like purple wraath gets me by for early morning workouts.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really can go off nothing if you want. Its more mental than anything. I used to go on 6 mile trail runs at 7/8 AM on an empty stomach and 2 cups of coffee... Or before that I would go to crew practice at 4:30 AM with nothing in me at all.

If I had to eat something, I would suggest some oatmeal. But unless you really go hard and stress you body to close to its limit, eating nothing is a legitimate option. Before my morning workouts now, I drink some whey in water, and some bcaa's/sugar in water. thats it.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
how long is the workout?

if it's 90 mins or less, coffee or some OJ.

usually just the former.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Don't worry about this, dehydration due to caffeinated drinks is overkill. I'll dig up the article that studied this if I can find it.

Please do, I have a friend who is adamant that having a cup of coffee before any physical activity will suck you dry.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Protein with carbs, preferably from berries.

A couple of eggs plus some strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 75 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 146 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 75 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 37 8.3%