1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Short Meal Before a 5 AM Workout

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by AntiHero84, Feb 14, 2011.

1. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

So I recently started going to the gym at 5:00 AM a few days a week. I've found it really difficult to get my energy levels up at this early hour, which I guess can be expected. A longer warm-up routine seems to help, but I think I need to alter my eating habits a little.

Can anyone suggest a quick and short meal I can eat directly before a workout that will help fill my stomach and give me a little more energy?

I'm thinking of something that won't make me want to vomit after 5 minutes on the treadmill. Maybe a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or a granola bar?

2. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I like greek yogurt (Fage is better than Chobani, IMO) with some berries and/or nuts. I always used to eat this before taking my daily run, and never once did it upset my stomach.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Coffee pretty well does it for me. You might consider a gel though for some carbs. Sometimes in mid-run I'll opt for a clif blok, which is sugar + salt in a chewy gelatin form.

4. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

No worries about dehydration with the coffee?

5. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

I go at the same time. I'll do a caffeine pill some mornings when I'm not feeling it. I drink a decent amount of water while I'm there plus a green tea on the way to and haven't had any dehydration issues.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

No worries about dehydration with the coffee?

Don't worry about this, dehydration due to caffeinated drinks is overkill. I'll dig up the article that studied this if I can find it.

7. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

I'm in the same boat as the OP and I generally eat two big bites off a chocolate balance bar (ie half a bar) and drink about 6 ounces of milk. It seems to be just the right amount for me to get going but not feel full at the gym.

8. sonick

sonick Senior member

Cottage cheese for the BCAA's plus some kind of carb.

9. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I usually go with a yogurt or a hard-boiled egg, either of which gives sufficient energy for an early morning workout. Don't forget to eat a proper breakfast shortly after the workout...

10. Transcendental

Transcendental Senior member

EGGS EGGS EGGS EGGS EGGS EGGS EGGS

That's it.

11. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

a decent bcaa supp like purple wraath gets me by for early morning workouts.

12. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

You really can go off nothing if you want. Its more mental than anything. I used to go on 6 mile trail runs at 7/8 AM on an empty stomach and 2 cups of coffee... Or before that I would go to crew practice at 4:30 AM with nothing in me at all.

If I had to eat something, I would suggest some oatmeal. But unless you really go hard and stress you body to close to its limit, eating nothing is a legitimate option. Before my morning workouts now, I drink some whey in water, and some bcaa's/sugar in water. thats it.

13. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

how long is the workout?

if it's 90 mins or less, coffee or some OJ.

usually just the former.

14. sonick

sonick Senior member

Don't worry about this, dehydration due to caffeinated drinks is overkill. I'll dig up the article that studied this if I can find it.

Please do, I have a friend who is adamant that having a cup of coffee before any physical activity will suck you dry.

15. suited

suited Senior member

Protein with carbs, preferably from berries.

A couple of eggs plus some strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries.

16. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Please do, I have a friend who is adamant that having a cup of coffee before any physical activity will suck you dry.

Hope not or the 4 cups of coffee I just downed will doom me.

17. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

When I trained at that ungodly hour I just slammed a cup of coffee. No way did I feel like eating. You are not going to dehydrate yourself, but you may need to evacuate your bowels after about 20 minutes.[​IMG]

If you really think you need some calories, try a glass of flavored kefir. Or maybe a banana.

18. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

So I recently started going to the gym at 5:00 AM a few days a week. I've found it really difficult to get my energy levels up at this early hour, which I guess can be expected. A longer warm-up routine seems to help, but I think I need to alter my eating habits a little.

Can anyone suggest a quick and short meal I can eat directly before a workout that will help fill my stomach and give me a little more energy?

I'm thinking of something that won't make me want to vomit after 5 minutes on the treadmill. Maybe a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or a granola bar?

I actually do the couple spoons of PB thing. The fats make you feel like you've eaten something substantial, if the empty stomach feeling bothers you. I also start off with whey and a small amount of carbs. All said and done, about 350 calories. But I hate not eating in the morning, so I might be the odd man out here

19. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Here's some food for thought, since you asked:

Paluska, S., et al. (2003). Caffeine and Exercise

and

Millard-Stafford, M. L., Cureton, K. J., Wingo, J. E., Trilk, J., Warren, G. L., & Buyckx, M. (2007). Hydration During Exercise in Warm, Humid Conditions: Effect of a Caffeinated Sports Drink. International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism, 17(2), 163-177

I apologize for not having edited the first to the standard APA citation form. I don't want to be the dude throwing around pubmed citations (especially since my field of study is econ) - but my point was that consuming caffeinated beverages won't magically dehydrate you.

20. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Here is an oft-referred study on caffeine and its effect on hydration. The conclusion is that caffeine does not have a statistically significant effect on hydration. http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/5/591 The Effect of Caffeinated, Non-Caffeinated, Caloric and Non-Caloric Beverages on Hydration Ann C. Grandjean, EdD, FACN, CNS, Kristin J. Reimers, RD, MS, Karen E. Bannick, MA and Mary C. Haven, MS