• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short guy clothing

ZxRP

Reaction score
Hey I'm new here,

I've searched the forum for a bit on what some of the shorter members have tried buying in terms of clothes that fitting; usually the answer was to tailor it. I'm looking for recommendations on clothing that doesn't need tailoring and that fits shorter men (I'm 5'4", about 36-37 in chest, 28 waist). I've found that American Eagle polos in x-small fit alright but I want to find stuff that isn't just AE polos. Mall shops, online stores, etc would be nice. thank you

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need to post a budget... are you looking only for polos? Also, this is probably better suited for the "ask a question" thread.

Most people here in SW&D hate polos, but there is a forum affiliate Vastrm that offers custom polos that might work for you.

If you're looking for "mall brand" stuff... I don't think there's anything people would recommend besides Uniqlo.

Last edited:

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trust me i consider myself not very tall either i'm only a bit taller than you. your going to need a tailor find a brand/type of clothing that fits your shape then go consult a tailor you trust.

at that height your almost always going to have to hem unless you like stacks on stacks. also some advice if your over 19 you should really stop wearing american eagle now.

talking to a tailor isn't bad at all it will save you trouble and money in the long run.

ramizlol

Reaction score
I am 5' 6" this is what I do. Buy slim fit jeans/pants. Wear shoes with a heel. Low raise!!!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

ZxRP

Reaction score
trust me i consider myself not very tall either i'm only a bit taller than you. your going to need a tailor find a brand/type of clothing that fits your shape then go consult a tailor you trust.

at that height your almost always going to have to hem unless you like stacks on stacks. also some advice if your over 19 you should really stop wearing american eagle now.

talking to a tailor isn't bad at all it will save you trouble and money in the long run.

I don't only wear american eagle, I own a grand total of 2 polos and a pair of shorts from them. I was hoping to avoid a tailor but I guess if I want proper fitting clothes I can't skimp out on it.
You need to post a budget... are you looking only for polos? Also, this is probably better suited for the "ask a question" thread.

Most people here in SW&D hate polos, but there is a forum affiliate Vastrm that offers custom polos that might work for you.

If you're looking for "mall brand" stuff... I don't think there's anything people would recommend besides Uniqlo.
Not just polos, I just used polos as an example. As for budget, college student here so anything more than 60 for a shirt is too much.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have money? SLP is a designer brand that works very well for short guys. Check out what Asians wear.

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
For SW&D I guess you can get away with buying XS from mall stores like American Eagle. They cater to a younger demographic and as a result have clothes for smaller sizes like yours. Moving up the demographic you will find stores like Brooks Brothers who, despite having more mature style and better quality, does not actually make clothes for your size. What it also means is that if you need tailored clothing you will most likely have to go made-to-measure or bespoke.

I'm 5'8" and wear 38 short, and even a 38 short suit jacket in J Crew, who typically features slimmer and shorter cuts, is almost too long for me.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This guy thinks SW&D people wear American Eagle... and most Brooks Brothers is pretty garbage quality in the grand scheme of things. Same with J. Crew.

If your budget is $60 or less, you should really just buy from Uniqlo and call it a day. Tailor if necessary.

Last edited:

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
This guy thinks SW&D people wear American Eagle... and most Brooks Brothers is pretty garbage quality in the grand scheme of things. Same with J. Crew.

If your budget is $60 or less, you should really just buy from Uniqlo and call it a day. Tailor if necessary.

I thought OP's predicament was pretty clear. So far the one place where he has found sells clothes that fit him is American Eagle. He wants to do better and naturally the step up from American Eagle IS the likes of J Crew and Brooks Brothers, against which I, however, had to warn him because they don't exactly have his size. Also, not trying to be snarky but I thought it's funny you dismissed Brooks Brothers and J Crew from the grand scheme of things and then came right back to Uniqlo :)

I have a friend who's around OP's size and I know how hard it is for him to find clothes. We dug up the whole mall and went from American Eagle to Club Monaco, leaving empty-handed but for a few items he found at AE. If the OP does live on the East Coast, it's worth it to pay Uniqlo a trip. Otherwise he will just have to make do with what he can incidentally find or budget for tailoring.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why pay more for Brooks/J. Crew for an incremental increase in quality from AE (and probably a lateral move in terms of fit/cut)? He's probably looking for basics, which are Uniqlo's strength.

You can't expect quality + abnormal sizing at his budget. Therefore, you get the best value and alter as necessary.

Last edited:

ZxRP

Reaction score

For SW&D I guess you can get away with buying XS from mall stores like American Eagle. They cater to a younger demographic and as a result have clothes for smaller sizes like yours. Moving up the demographic you will find stores like Brooks Brothers who, despite having more mature style and better quality, does not actually make clothes for your size. What it also means is that if you need tailored clothing you will most likely have to go made-to-measure or bespoke.

I'm 5'8" and wear 38 short, and even a 38 short suit jacket in J Crew, who typically features slimmer and shorter cuts, is almost too long for me.

Thank you both. I'm not going to rule out stores as im simply limited in choice as it is. I'm also not going to rule out tailoring my clothing but i do not have clothing worth tailoring yet, at $15 per shirt I'm going to have to wait until i accumulate some more money before investing in it. I happen to live on the east coast, amaze, but in miami, not sure if they're is a Uniqlo here.

ZxRP

Reaction score
Thank you both, amaze and cyc. I know I can't avoid tailoring my clothing if I am to obtain a proper fit, I don't deny that, but I shall have to wait a bit till I can accumulate enough money to even buy clothing worth tailoring. Speaking of which, how much should tailoring my clothes be? I know it varies from tailor to tailor, but what would be a fair price to modify to my size? As for the stores, I'll give Uniqlo, BB, and Jcrew another look when I get the time.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought OP's predicament was pretty clear. So far the one place where he has found sells clothes that fit him is American Eagle. He wants to do better and naturally the step up from American Eagle IS the likes of J Crew and Brooks Brothers, against which I, however, had to warn him because they don't exactly have his size. Also, not trying to be snarky but I thought it's funny you dismissed Brooks Brothers and J Crew from the grand scheme of things and then came right back to Uniqlo :)

I have a friend who's around OP's size and I know how hard it is for him to find clothes. We dug up the whole mall and went from American Eagle to Club Monaco, leaving empty-handed but for a few items he found at AE. If the OP does live on the East Coast, it's worth it to pay Uniqlo a trip. Otherwise he will just have to make do with what he can incidentally find or budget for tailoring.
The reason why that makes sense is because BB and Jcrew is absolute garbage for the price. I know people look at the retail price and the marketing and they feel like they stepped up to something nice, but it's not. The only time it's remotely buyable is at 40-60% off and even then it's rarely worth it.

Uniqlo can be brought up because of the value proposition. The stuff gives incredible value. Is the stuff high end? Hell no. But is it worth it for the price? Yes. Especially if it fits you and it likely will if you are shorter and slimmer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads