• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Fiction by Brooks Brothers

goodlife

Reaction score
This is most likely completely inane, but I thought I would share my mornings experiance at Brooks Brothers. I will not indicate which one to protect the guilty.

After reading the the Brooks Boot Sale Thread over the past few days, and seeing some other sale items on their website, I decided to pay a visit to my nearest Brooks Brothers to take a look and try out some sizes before I placed an order. I had a look around (incedentilly they have some really nice skinny wool ties in the women's department), and everything seemed fine until I got to the shoe department.

I had not been there more than thirty seconds and the sales associate was looking over my shoulder. So as I inspected the shoes I was forced to make small talk. I noticed some made in USA calf shoes and asked if they too were made by Alden or if it was just the cordovans (I actually did not know), and he said they were.

As I approached the English shoes, still making with the small talk, I mentioned Alfred Sargent and Crockett &Jones. This is when the sales associate made his bid for the pulitzer. He told me that the shoes were not made by AS and C&J, but by Peal & Co. which had been bought by Brooks Brothers in the 1960s. He said that while they may do additional private labels for comanies such as C&J and AS, the name on the factory is Peal.

He told me all of this as I was holding a slipper foil stamped Brooks Brothers Peal & CO crafted by Alfred Sargent, North Hampton England. The worst part is I did not even bother trying on any shoes, I just had to get out.
baldy[1].gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
This is most likely completely inane, but I thought I would share my mornings experiance at Brooks Brothers. I will not indicate which one to protect the guilty.

After reading the the Brooks Boot Sale Thread over the past few days, and seeing some other sale items on their website, I decided to pay a visit to my nearest Brooks Brothers to take a look and try out some sizes before I placed an order. I had a look around (incedentilly they have some really nice skinny wool ties in the women's department), and everything seemed fine until I got to the shoe department.

I had not been there more than thirty seconds and the sales associate was looking over my shoulder. So as I inspected the shoes I was forced to make small talk. I noticed some made in USA calf shoes and asked if they too were made by Alden or if it was just the cordovans (I actually did not know), and he said they were.

As I approached the English shoes, still making with the small talk, I mentioned Alfred Sargent and Crockett &Jones. This is when the sales associate made his bid for the pulitzer. He told me that the shoes were not made by AS and C&J, but by Peal & Co. which had been bought by Brooks Brothers in the 1960s. He said that while they may do additional private labels for comanies such as C&J and AS, the name on the factory is Peal.

He told me all of this as I was holding a slipper foil stamped Brooks Brothers Peal & CO crafted by Alfred Sargent, North Hampton England. The worst part is I did not even bother trying on any shoes, I just had to get out.
baldy[1].gif

They always say that,that's what they are told to tell customers,who gives a ****.If you know they are made by AS or C&J,that should be sufficient.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a sales associate there, wearing cordovan wingtips made by Alden, insist that they were made by brooks brothers.

"Oh," I said, "I though that Alden made your codovan shoes"
"No," he said, "These are our 'cordovan collection.' Brooks Brother's makes them."

He said it in front of a friend of mine I was helping pick out a suit. It made me look like an idiot in front of him. It took all of my strength not to let him have it.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never had an experience like this since I shop at Brooks Brothers in Manhasset. The shoe guy there knows his shoes and we had a great conversation about the different manufacturers. Apparently, the owner of BB lives in the area and the Manhasset store is his "baby." They always carry the best BB merchandise including BF & GF. (Although there is a terrible lack of size 38 suits.)

Mentos

Reaction score
I thought BB was owned by some multinational corporate conglomerate-type thing?

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
I thought BB was owned by some multinational corporate conglomerate-type thing?

They were bought by Alfred Sargent back in the 1960s ... didn't you notice??

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
They always say that,that's what they are told to tell customers,who gives a ****.If you know they are made by AS or C&J,that should be sufficient.

If that is what they are told to say, it is even worse. If it is just that individuals pitch, it is just one ignorant person. If however, it is policy then it speaks to the service culture of Brooks Brothers. To tell someone a bullshit story when you know they know the truth is rude and insulting, and quite frankly I have had **** service pretty much everytime I have been in a Brooks Brothers. So no, my opinion of the Peal shoes has not changed because I still know that they are of good quality, but this is yet another instance where my opinion of Brooks Brothers has been degraded.

I respect the tradition, and I think they provide a fairly decent quality product at a price that is not outrageous. I also appreciate the fact that in many areas Brooks is the only decent shopping option available.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
I've had salesmen in the NY and SF stores point me down the street to the Alden stores in each city to find a fuller selection of cordovan shoes while explaining that BB carried the same shoes rebranded. There are always people who aren't particularly good at their jobs or are sleazy no matter where you look.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares man. You are like the Trekkie correcting William Shatner on how many horses he has on his ranch.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Who cares man. You are like the Trekkie correcting William Shatner on how many horses he has on his ranch.
lol8[1].gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amen.

goodlife

Reaction score

Funny, but not really an accurate comparison, but I digress. I do not want to start anything
smack.gif
since I have apparently raised the forum's collective ire for starting this thread.
peepwall[1].gif

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will take a bet and say this is the North Michigan avenue store that sounds like their patented blather. I know of no other BB with such poorly informed sales people.

Go to the Rookery , the woman look like they came out of the catalog.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
If that is what they are told to say, it is even worse. If it is just that individuals pitch, it is just one ignorant person. If however, it is policy then it speaks to the service culture of Brooks Brothers. To tell someone a bullshit story when you know they know the truth is rude and insulting, and quite frankly I have had **** service pretty much everytime I have been in a Brooks Brothers. So no, my opinion of the Peal shoes has not changed because I still know that they are of good quality, but this is yet another instance where my opinion of Brooks Brothers has been degraded.

I respect the tradition, and I think they provide a fairly decent quality product at a price that is not outrageous. I also appreciate the fact that in many areas Brooks is the only decent shopping option available.

There is no doubt that BB customer service is not superior and its stuff is not knowledgeable. I have had several SAs telling me that bullshit, on numerous occasions. Some stores have stupid SAs, should we stop buying anything there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads