• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short dork jonesin' for some Tom Ford shoes/boots, but I only have $800 to spend

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if this is spam but ill bite. Here are your options

1. Check ebay/SF's buying a selling forum and hope you find a good deal in your size.Make sure you physically try on the shoe you want to buy or at least something similar, TF sizing is a bit weird, i range from a size 9 US to a size 10 in some models. For example their suede loafers i was a size 9 for one season, but in their replacement model for it (different last) i am a size 10, in their penny loafer and boots i wear a size 9, and for their captoe i wear a 9.5 you get my drift?
2. Wait for the sales at neimans/bergdorfs, they sometimes go down 50% or so, I've seen them at 55% discount and picked up boots for $600 and loafers for just under $500. Take note that these are usually going to be their seasonal items and not something like a plain black captoe (although you can find these on ebay sometimes but usually close to 1k even on there)
3. Look into the brand Max Verre, they make some of the TF shoes so their designs will be similar or find an alternative brand that suits your tastes.

If all these options don't work for you and you MUST have a pair of TF shoes then there really is nothing else you can do but beg/borrow/save and make up the price difference.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the money you have could/should be spent elsewhere rather than on $1500 shoes.

Manhappenin

Reaction score

I can't tell if this is spam but ill bite. Here are your options
1. Check ebay/SF's buying a selling forum and hope you find a good deal in your size.Make sure you physically try on the shoe you want to buy or at least something similar, TF sizing is a bit weird, i range from a size 9 US to a size 10 in some models. For example their suede loafers i was a size 9 for one season, but in their replacement model for it (different last) i am a size 10, in their penny loafer and boots i wear a size 9, and for their captoe i wear a 9.5 you get my drift?
2. Wait for the sales at neimans/bergdorfs, they sometimes go down 50% or so, I've seen them at 55% discount and picked up boots for $600 and loafers for just under $500. Take note that these are usually going to be their seasonal items and not something like a plain black captoe (although you can find these on ebay sometimes but usually close to 1k even on there)
3. Look into the brand Max Verre, they make some of the TF shoes so their designs will be similar or find an alternative brand that suits your tastes.
If all these options don't work for you and you MUST have a pair of TF shoes then there really is nothing else you can do but beg/borrow/save and make up the price difference.

Definitely not spam. I absolutely love TF shoes and could even use the extra .5 inch. I'll keep my eyes open and stop by NM periodically. Thanks for the suggestions.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you be more specific?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're using all of the money you have (and then some) just for a pair of these shoes. I don't know anything about Tom Ford, but I think you're paying a huge premium for the brand cache. You could get a pair of C&J Handgrades that are just as nice, for a third of the price.

Last edited:

Manhappenin

Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're using all of the money you have (and then some) just for a pair of these shoes. I don't know anything about Tom Ford, but I think you're paying a huge premium for the brand cache. You could get a pair of C&J Handgrades that are just as nice, for a third of the price.

Well it's not all the money I have, it's just all the $ I can bring myself to spend. $1500 for shoes just sounds crazy to me. But man, I just find the shoes incredibly striking unlike any others (i.e. I'm a noob). If I could pick up a pair of wingtips, captoes, or some boots for $800 I would definitely purchase.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's not all the money I have, it's just all the $ I can bring myself to spend. $1500 for shoes just sounds crazy to me. But man, I just find the shoes incredibly striking unlike any others (i.e. I'm a noob). If I could pick up a pair of wingtips, captoes, or some boots for $800 I would definitely purchase.

If you post the said TF shoes desired, forum might be able to generate some equal if not superior replacements at a lower cost.

Manhappenin

Reaction score
Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it only the heel that rocks your world? Could you substitute some type of lift inside the shoe for the high heel? Are you a consultant at Bain, btw?

I'll assume you can have a lift added to the inside of the shoe, so I'll focus on the other attributes: a burnished brogued brown derby w/ a chisel toe that's approx $800.

Would you consider a Ralph Lauren shoe? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAZIANO-GIR...6380513?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item53eea9a3e1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...0643951?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item51a0d4aeef

Or unburnished Vass? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTO-Laszlo-...4341100?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a1bc23dec

Is a balmoral okay? If so, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vass-Dark-B...5332786?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f1b8f8f32

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTO-Laszlo-...7619120?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a1d256fb0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTO-Laszlo-...8767161?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item5d3311dcb9

And changing things up a bit, how about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDWARD-GREE...4833816?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item51a1149d98

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do without, as you are so short and cannot reconcile the numbers you are not in this market place.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it only the heel that rocks your world? Could you substitute some type of lift inside the shoe for the high heel? Are you a consultant at Bain, btw?
I'll assume you can have a lift added to the inside of the shoe, so I'll focus on the other attributes: a burnished brogued brown derby w/ a chisel toe that's approx $800.

He was just using that pic as an example, he's actually looking for something in brown/black. The actual shoe he linked was on sale at Bergdorfs last december for about $600 but the solid blacks/browns i have yet to find at discount. On ebay sometimes but they are still well over $800 even then. Btw that seller is selling them for $1700 USD when they are actually cheaper at the store $1500 if i remember correctly well 14-something but give or take $1500 plus tax when i bought mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Ford-Me...en_s_Shoes&hash=item2a22b3925d#ht_3251wt_1293

Thats a link to a solid black that is still 1k+ and its pre owned too! lol
If i remember correctly Spoo has solid black cap toes for sale on here for like 550 but they were also used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads