• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Short Business Courses short of an MBA

Star

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any short business courses worth doing short of doing an MBA? I am looking at something at any of the top business schools in the US or Europe. Something like this perhaps

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/execed/...tail/10484/CEM

I am a PM for a corporate in a business PMO and looking at ways of uplifting myself out of a PM role and into business initiatives or strategy work. I dont see a short course as the silver bullet; however, I am looking at making moves that hopefully steer my ship in the right direction.

Thanks

Milpool

Reaction score
Most all the top schools seem to have exec ed offerings, some even travel. I think many use exec ed to fund the bulk of the school.

stamp0102

Reaction score
I like the idea, but I can't see spending 20 grand on that Columbia program. For maybe 5 or 10 grand more you could complete your MBA online from a second tier state school - such as UMass Amherst. MBA is much more marketable and should provide a much better education than a 2 week course anywhere.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The Ross School of Business (at Michigan) has a very well regarded executive education MBA. Essentially the courses appear to be offered one weekend a month. Executives fly into Ann Arbor, stay at a hotel physically adjacent to the Ross building, take their classes, and go home. This seems like an ideal way to get an MBA while still holding down a full time job. I'm sure the students here make better connections to their cohort group than would be possible in a standard distance learning situation. I'm also sure it's expensive.

I can't speak to the details of the Executive MBA program, but I can say the hotel at the Ross school is rather nice. I am actually staying there right now.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those executive education classes are meant for middle to upper management types who get their tuition paid by their employers, I wouldn't recommend them. Look into doing a part time (night) or executive (weekend) MBA program. A class here or there will neither impress anyone nor gives you the tools you need to move up into a strategy type position.

Reaction score
Watched an MIT video of Mintzberg debating his anti-MBA stance a while back while semi-pressing his own involvement in the International Masters in Practicing Management. Anyone know anything about the IMPM thing?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Those executive education classes are meant for middle to upper management types who get their tuition paid by their employers, I wouldn't recommend them. Look into doing a part time (night) or executive (weekend) MBA program. A class here or there will neither impress anyone nor gives you the tools you need to move up into a strategy type position.
i agree with this completely. if you want a career booster similar to an MBA then get an MBA. a class here and there is great if you want to learn something new, but is practically useless on your resume

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 7 9.1%