• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shops worth checking out in LA

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As usual my travel schedule has gotten messed up and I am going to have a bit of free time in LA next week. Are there any shops I should check out? I am interested in the whole gamut from jeans to clothes to whatever. Any good ideas?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me think........you mean besides Bijan.............Has Oswald Boateng opened yet?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
South Willard!!

and Douglas Fir...

there right next to eachother

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If you're interested in something different, check out Duncan Quinn on 846 Melrose (about 1/2 block from Marc Jacobs)...then a couple blocks away is the Paul Smith pink palace, which has a lot of cool stuff inside, not just clothes (books, knickknacks, etc)

Oz hasnt opened in LA

Fred Segal on Melrose just a few blocks down would be worth a visit, then a few blocks away on La Brea/just south of 3rd st is American Rag for denim/casual

South WIllard on 3rd st is a good rec. lot of interesting stores just along 3rd st

You seem to be open to things not pertaining to just your own style, so these arent in your typical repertoire but might be worth having a look

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should check out the Shop The Finest warehouse in Santa Monica. It's by appointment, but he's usually available. He typically has a lot more stuff there than is represented on the website. You might also get a kick out of Fred Segal, either in Santa Monica or on Melrose.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was in school I went to FS Melrose quite often, but I don't know the Santa Monica shop at all. I do know that it is not the same, but is it worth seeing in addition to Melrose? What is South Willard? I will try to check it out. Already have my Bijan appointment set, Tommy.
rolleyes.gif

Neo1824

Reaction score
I tend to find more things at the FS in Santa Monica than on Melrose. it's much bigger (2 buildings) and has a huge selection for menswear.

I also second the Shop the Finest suggestion...I'm definitely making that part of my plans the next time I'm in LA.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You can also check out Decades (the upstairs section) for some great vintage designer clothes. It's almost across the street fom Paul Smith.

You have to see Maxfield as well.

If you get to Santa Monica you can check out that Fred Segal (2 buildings across the street from each others) as well.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Already have my Bijan appointment set, Tommy.
rolleyes.gif

Matt,
Feel free to tell Bijan that you know me and he'll give you 10% off. That means $8000 Belvest (labeled 100% Bijan) blazers for only $7200
laugh.gif

Wait, I forgot you are more of a Neopolitan guy. Well, he'd probably sell you an Attolini coat (labeled 100% Bijan), for only about $16,000 with my discount. Let me know how you do
lol8[1].gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Decades has pretty much done away with their men's clothing, but the collection of vintage women's clothes is museum quality if that kind of thing rocks your boat. A good friend of mine works there if you're interested (or your wife).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thankfully, for my bank account, she will not be coming down this time. Six or eight years ago she used to shop a bit at Decades, but then the prices got a bit out of control. She has a thing for Ossie Clark dresses and they seem to get a fair number of them. If she is nice this week, perhaps I will take a peek.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me more about Shop The Finest warehouse in Santa Monica? I live in LA and have never heard about this place.

Also, anyone know a good tailor and shoe repair place too? I live in Beechwood.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my first trip to Rodeo the other week and had never known about Bijan. After doing some homework it is apparently 'the most expensive store in the world' or something pretentious, and by appointment only. Does the guy (Bijan) make his own clothes? Or does he, like a few posts above mine, just relabel stuff? Some source said he charges 15 grand for RTW suits and other absurdities. What exactly does he carry in his store and how does he get away with charging so much?

And I was disappointed with Stefano Ricci when their salespeople said 'we have the best ties in the world', charged $200 per, and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if they were seven folds.
confused.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I was joking about going to Bijan. I believe that Tomasso was joking as well seeing as I have ridiculed them more than a few times on this board.

Stefano Wretched is just as bad, or worse.

Battaglia is even worse.

Bijan is private label stuff and has been done over the years by Kiton, Brioni, D'Avenza, Belvest and probably a few others.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's always Gary's if you make it down to my neck of the woods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads