• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping trip to Hong Kong or Shanghai?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
This fall I most likely will be heading to China for Business. Depending on how I schedule this trip, I could either spend an extra day or two in Hong Kong or Shanghai or maybe even both. I have flown in and out of both cities on the past but have never spent much time in either. Are they both worth extending a trip to visit - with the main focus on clothes shopping?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously HK has Jantzen if you're into that kind of thing.

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
Hong Kong without hesitation. The mainland shops are subject to unreal import duties (If I remember correctly, it's 30%), so the prices are absurdly high. Even when they are having large sales, the shops in Shanghai will not be much of a bargain. Hong Kong on the other hand has lower import duty and the sales are much bigger. Also, the Shanghai shops carry a very limited selection, much smaller than what you will find in Hong Kong.

Is Hong Kong worth spending a few extra days in? If it's for shopping, the yes. Is Shanghai? Honestly, I'm so jaded that I will likely never go back to the mainland unless I'm dragged there kicking and screaming so, no, not really.

By "dragged there kicking and screaming", I also mean, "given a whole hell of a lot of money."

mrmax

Reaction score
If you've never been here, then HK for sure.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hong Kong, and I'd probably stay for at least 4 days, specially if you plan to get shirts and maybe suits made. Also aside from the tailors, a walk through Pacific Place, IFC mall, Elements and Ocean Terminal would take considerable time, too.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Shanghai is definitely worth a visit, but not for shopping. The shopping is good, but its not cheap (and it isn't as good as HK). As others have said, import taxes are so high as to make things expensive even on sale (for example, went to Pink today and the shirts on sale now are basically the same as retail in the US). Anyways, if you are going to make a stop on the mainland, why not see Beijing? The shopping is better than Shanghai (though Shanghai is home to some outposts of a few of the more popular HK tailors) and there's definitely a lot more to see for the tourist.

Hong Kong is worth it for the shopping if you're going for tailored/bespoke clothes. Other than that, with some exceptions, the majority of things you'll see in the malls mentioned are the same as what you'd find in NYC/Chicago/LA, plus they'll be no sales in the fall.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
Shanghai is definitely worth a visit, but not for shopping.

I was in Shanghai last year and found this to be true.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Thanks guys. No Sales in the fall eh?

I may have to find away to have this buisness trip some other time. What the best time to shop in HK?

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
the same as in the US and UK, either right now (depending on the stores, the sales period is usually end of June/early July to early August) or after Christmas.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Thanks guys. No Sales in the fall eh?

I may have to find away to have this buisness trip some other time. What the best time to shop in HK?

Men's shopping in HK is ok. Too many tourists mean the racks for the "big brands" like Zegna, LV, Hermes, etc are picked dry during non-sale. However, for the MC crowd, there are still some gems. Edward Green at Tassels is slightly cheaper than everywhere else during non-sale season. JM Weston's sale usually still has good stuff left. There's WW Chan, Jantzen, Ah Min Cheong, Gordon Yao etc for tailoring needs. These days I keep an eye out for Dries Van Noten (usually has stuff left), Jil Sander (usually has stuff left), Valextra (hard to find) and Blanc de Chine (hard to find).

Lobb and Paul Smith in HK has always seemed very disappointing for me. Selection never seems up to par.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I look in the window, but dare not enter and touch. Debt is a dangerous thing.

then take some photo's next time you are there!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I look in the window, but dare not enter and touch. Debt is a dangerous thing.

I've been inside, and they have a fair amount of shoes for men as well as a second-story room for what I suppose is bespoke services?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads