• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shopping Spree (wardrobe make over help!)

keepsake89

Reaction score
So, I'm a 26 year old who needs a wardrobe make over. Currently, all I wear are Levi jeans with black/white v-neck shirts and Nike dunks. On a night out, I'll throw on a button up shirt from Express.

Anyways, I just landed a job as the head manager of a pretty nice nail salon. I need to dress accordingly. I wont be needing to wear suits but I need to be more dressy than my current style. I was thinking "more chinos and tucked in button ups" everyday. My problem is, I'm a size 29 waist in Levi's 511 (slim). I'm skinny and short; I weigh 130 lbs and am 5'6'' ft tall. I dont want to pay more than $100 for chinos cus I plan on buying at least 4 during this shopping spree. What brand do you suggest that carries size 29 waist and has a very slim/tailored fit? I'm thinking J Crew is probably going to get recommended the most.

As for shoes, I'm thinking of buying these loafers for everyday rotation:
1) dark brownish tassel loafers
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF42397_1_40000000001_-1?style=42397

2) blue suede bit loafers
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF69115_1_40000000001_-1?style=69115

3) I'll need a suggestion for black loafers

Shirts: BB spread collars seem to get a lot of love here, but I'm not sure I need such formal shirts since I wont be wearing suits to work. I just need casual, but smart/dressy looking shirts to wear with chinos (probably always tucked in). I dont want to spend over $100 per shirt.

Blazer: I want a navy blue blazer and a light gray blazer. No more than $300 each please.

Questions:
1) For the blue suede loafers, what color belt do I wear? Should I try to find a matching blue belt or do contrasting belt/shoe color for this combo?

2) Do I even need black shoes?

3) Since I wont be wearing ties to work at a spa salon, I wont need spread point collars, right?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a few things, and see how they work out. Sometimes you don't discover the details of fit and comfort until you wear a garment a few times. Also, you can buy a few things at full price and then wait for a sale to stock up.

Re shoes: lace-ups are more versatile for work than loafers. A nail salon is obviously a fashion business and so not about conservative business dress, but you never know what you'll be doing next.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 48 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 103 34.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 89 30.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%