1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Recommendations in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FidelCashflow, May 7, 2011.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I'm heading to New York for the first time last week of June and am hoping to do a little shopping there. Are there sales around that time? I'm vaguely familiar with all the big department stores like Saks, Neimans, Bergdorf, etc and Woodbury Common Outlets.

Are the rest of the finer clothing stores (e.g. John Lobb, Santoni, Edward Green, etc) along Madison ave? I've heard of Leffot, Jay Kos and Paul Stuart. I'm looking to pick up a really nice pair of shoes (maybe two) and maybe one or two moderately priced suits (~$500)

For discounts, is Woodbury Commons and Century 21 the way to go? I've also heard of Daffy's and Filene's - but I don't know if they only care designers or if it's like a TJ Maxx where it's 99% junk. What about Marshalls?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Steven Alan
    Gant - Bleecker St
    Unis
    Leffot (as you mentioned : go here for shoes)
    J. Crew Liquor Store
    Freeman's Sporting Club

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's Leffot downtown, and Alden, JM Weston, John Lobb, etc., on Madison. Crockett and Jones has a shop somewhere Midtown, but I forget exactly where. Jay Kos as it used to be is dead. It's seems to have morphed into some downtown gourmet/fashion concept showroom.

4. FidelCashflow

^

Whoa - you weren't kidding about Jay Kos - I just looked at their website and their shoe section consisted of a bunch of cheap looking desert boots - and a sweet potato [​IMG]

5. softy

softy Senior member

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

Moderately priced suits? Not in the shops that you mentioned

7. FidelCashflow

Moderately priced suits? Not in the shops that you mentioned
    So where do all the b&s sellers get their inventory of suits for $300-$500? I assumed it was Woodbury commons or century 21.

8. comrade

comrade Senior member

So where do all the b&s sellers get their inventory of suits for $300-$500? I assumed it was Woodbury commons or century 21.

Good Point. Happy shopping.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

you can def try both spots. how long are you gonna be in ny?

10. bibs

bibs Senior member

Isn't century 21 a bitch to shop in nowadays ?

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

in what way? crowds? just get there early...

12. TC11201

TC11201 Senior member

Woodbury on a nice weekend in the summer is far worse than C21 on its worst day. If you're going to go to Woodbury, just realize it's a legit 1 1/2 hr from the city in regular traffic. Head out early - it can often take 30 mins just to park and at least as long just to get out of the parking lot...my guess is that a lot of the sellers on B&S have better sources than Woodbury...if you live in or near the city, getting up there and back with shopping in between can be the better part of a day. C21 is a pain in the usual NYC way, lots of people, many clueless, but not exceptionally different than lots of other places and not exceptionally painful...second the Leffot rec for shoes and combine it with other downtown activities.

13. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I posted on my blog with this sort of info in mind - information on (mainly shoe shops) in NYC with an eye towards the best/most logical way to get to each if you're walking uptown towards downtown. Part One started at Ralph Lauren and worked its way down to Lobb, passing some other shops along the way. Part II was going to focus on Bergdorf, Barneys, and C&J. Part III should be Alden, Paul Stuart, and Brooks.

There might be useful info for you by the time you make your way here in June.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011...roll-down.html

14. Vigilant

Vigilant Senior member

Not sure if it's in your budget, but if you're in Midtown, the Kiton store is a pretty cool thing to behold.

15. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

some great brioni/belvest/cucinelli/kiton stuff in there today. guessing a couple of department stores dumped some inventory recently.

16. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Its a bitch if you're looking to go in there during the lunch hour, after work, or weekends.If you're here visiting, you should be fine in there as long as you pick a time like weekday at 10:30-11:00 am or afternoon 3:00-4:00 pm.

Pretty much the same thing applies to Woodbury - weekday morning is your best bet.

17. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

some great brioni/belvest/cucinelli/kiton stuff in there today. guessing a couple of department stores dumped some inventory recently.

I was there today and except for Brioni ties, there was really nothing of the other brands you've listed.

C21 is a dump.

18. FidelCashflow

you can def try both spots. how long are you gonna be in ny?
    I'm in NYC 5 days (last week of June) --- All the advice here so far is great - thanks! Also, any suggestions on places to eat? I heard of this place called Mac Bar and am curious to find more funky concept restaurants like it.

19. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I was there today and except for Brioni ties, there was really nothing of the other brands you've listed.

C21 is a dump.

dont know what to tell you... there was half a room of cucinelli deep in the back of the euro designer rooms, a wall of cucinelli/zegna/barbera/brioni/loro piana polos/sweaters...even a few isaia's sprinkled in. and about three racks worth of the brioni/kiton/belvest suits/sport coats.

maybe your expectations are higher than mine, and you expect the # of calvin klein stuff to = the number of kitons... but for having never seen any of that kind of quality in my few excursions there, i was pleasantly surprised.

20. softy

softy Senior member

Never been to C21, but I can almost surely guess it's less disgusting/irritating than Daffy's is, where they use ripped-up shower curtains to partition the changing rooms. Or am I wrong?