• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping overseas - S. America, Japan, etc. Recommendations Please!

flashback

Reaction score
Hey all,

I will be traveling to many different countries starting on Feb. 1, and lasting for 9 weeks. I haven't been denim or clothes shopping in awhile, and I figured I'll have a great chance to make up for lost time when I'm in certain areas, specifically Japan. I'll also be in S. America, Australia, and then a lot of the UK, as well as Germany, Switzerland, France and Belgium.

Anyways, I'm looking for a couple pieces of info:

1) specific shopping areas, or stores that have respected SF streetwear ( rag & bone, acne, nudie, japanese denim et al.), you get the idea

2) any "wishlist" clothes that I would be hard pressed to find outside of whatever country, eg. japanese denim that is not exported, or would cost tons to have sent through one of those middleman deals. Stuff thats pretty much exclusive to whatever place, OR stuff that would be far cheaper there than it is here in the states. Maybe a good way to look at this is to say if YOU were going there, what would you want to buy?

3) for any locals, if you feel like recommending any good places to hang out (especially nightlife) or restaurants to eat at, or anything else, I'd appreciate that too
smile.gif

I guess chiefly in my mind is getting my hands on some quality Japanese denim that would be a lot of money or effort to get here in the states. I know it probably wont be any cheaper there but I may not otherwise have the opportunity to get it.

The full routing of the trip is listed here under Upcoming Shows. If you happen to live in one of those cities and you want to hang out (I have a day off almost every other day) I'd love to meet some of you and have a pint!

thanks for any help

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Uh...you're traveling with the D-tones? **** that's hardcore. I'd kill to see that show overseas. What's the name of your band?

Too bad you guys aren't traveling through Central America the way Strung Out did a year or two ago. It was suprising to see all these other Costa Ricans shouting out the words to every song of a punk band from So Cal.

Anyway, I'll let the other intl SF'ers reply for you.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see that for switzerland, you'll only be in zurich

there are a few fantastic stores in zurich that you should check out

there is "erflog" in the zurich west area, interesting tee shirts done on zimmerli product with prices to match though; off the bahnhohfstrasse (the main shopping street) at munzplatz (at #1 it's a building attached to the back of the church) is a store called "fidelio" which carries a mix of a lot of less well known designers with really hip ones (one of the few places where you can find a good selection of dirk schonberger clothing for example) and they also have their own labeled goods and their own label shirts are quite nice for about CHF80 www.fideliokleider.ch .... that is the main store and they also have a new second store but see website for location and what is carried at what location

if you have time, check out the new "freitag" store, it's made out of stacked metal sea port containers (sort of upon one another into a mini skyscraper)
www.freitag.ch (address and pictures under storelocator)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
I work for the band
Still hardcore. Saturday Night Wrist has been on repeat daily lately. But then so has white pony, adrenaline, etc etc etc. Awesome stuff. Good knowing you.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just to add to teh fun..if i were to be in stockholm what stores would one should visit...ill be going there in a month or so ...

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most famous shopping destination in Stockholm is called NK. The best way to explain it is a department store filled with numerous boutiques.

flashback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Still hardcore. Saturday Night Wrist has been on repeat daily lately. But then so has white pony, adrenaline, etc etc etc.

Awesome stuff. Good knowing you.

thanks,

yeah I really like the new record. There's a rumor that they're going to try recording the next one while we're out on the road this year.

anyways, good to know you too

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
The most famous shopping destination in Stockholm is called NK. The best way to explain it is a department store filled with numerous boutiques.
does nk stand for something..or i mean if i said "nk" poeple would know what im talking about?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads