• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping on a budget

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's all about prioritizing. There isn't a set list of things you should get first, but if you're working on a strict budget, it's smarter to think about what will get the most use.

I've been operating with a tiny budget all year as I rebuild my wardrobe. I'd love to stock up on stuff from Self Edge or items from the Wolf vs. Goat collection. But the reality is, I need quite a few staples and only have so much cash with which to get them. That means prioritizing.

For me, that means a quality pair of denim, good pair of boots, and reliable, yet stylish winter coat. I'm still not going to break the bank of any of those, but that's where most of my expendable cash would go.

I had my eye on a scarf from EG earlier this season. I finally gave up when I realized I couldn't justify spending that much on what's basically an accessory when I'd yet to get all of my staples yet.

r1card0

Reaction score
That makes sense, so then I guess I'll get just one good scarf since I really don't have any at all... what should I look at that looks well with most shirt colors, jackets, etc.? I think there's a Burberry outlet in San Marcos though I don't know how good one of those scarves would look with different color clothes

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HommeFatale
You can never have enough scarves:
n513406455_1612157_9135.jpg

How cold does it get in Mexico?

You know dude's not Mexican right? I sure hope you do.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r1card0
That makes sense, so then I guess I'll get just one good scarf since I really don't have any at all... what should I look at that looks well with most shirt colors, jackets, etc.? I think there's a Burberry outlet in San Marcos though I don't know how good one of those scarves would look with different color clothes

Why would you buy a Burberry scarf on a $1500 budget when you live in Mexico.

How often are you going to wear this? I mean, I live in Canada and it's not cold enough here on a daily basis to wear cashmere scarves. And Burberry scarves are not super cheap at the outlet, they're still like $200. If you really want a cashmere scarf find a cheaper one, I got one at the brooks brothers outlet for $40 and while it's shorter and skinnier than the extremely generous Burberry scarves, it's soft and warm cashmere that will more than fill your scarf needs for much cheaper...

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im from texas and have been to san marcos outlets many, many, many, many, many times (live in austin so its a 45min drive)

only good store there is the polo outlet, they have one rack of 75% off discounted price, and if you happen to see something awesome there, like a black label trench for 90% off or a rlpl suit for $300 then get it. 99% of the time you wont see anything.

as for the other stores, they suck for the experienced shopper. of course if you just want a brand name and are fine with the worst of fw01 then it will blow your mind away

edit: the burberry outlet is at round rock in austin, not in san marcos. you get like... 30% off scarves, so you might as well go to the real store come sale time, or get one from nordstrom/saks/neimans... what people dont realize is that oftentimes the actual store on sale is much, much, much better than the outlet store... you can get current season stuff thats not leftovers that have been tried on and trampled on for like 10% more

kruze

Reaction score
dude just look thru any mainstream store website that is at the outlet. use the model's as guides for what goes together. since you are limited to what's there, thats the best advice i can give you. well i guess u can look around this site as well and get ideas of what to put together based on your body type. and bro, for your particular situation, don't drop 700 on a watch. put it towards a tv or something. if you are just ramping up your style, buy a decent 200 watch and put 500 towards something and have fun.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fill up your wardrobe with basics from Uniqlo, Hanes, Levis and blow your money on a couple nice pieces (like jackets) and shoes.

Done.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Fill up your wardrobe with basics from Uniqlo, Hanes, Levis and blow your money on a couple nice pieces (like jackets) and shoes.

Done.

+1

r1card0

Reaction score
Hmmm I'd rather buy some nicer stuff in general and get nice pieces that aren't THAT expensive. So what are the most acceptable stores in the San Marcos Outlets apart from Polo? And also should I buy stuff separately or always look to create complete outfits that combine?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

Done.

This.

Hmmm I'd rather buy some nicer stuff in general and get nice pieces that aren't THAT expensive. So what are the most acceptable stores in the San Marcos Outlets apart from Polo? And also should I buy stuff separately or always look to create complete outfits that combine?

The brands Lel lister are nicer than most any thing you will find at the outlets. Don't go and try to blow all your cash at once. Build slow, and use online stores with a good return policy. Use the mall/outlets to check your size and buy less, buy slower and buy better.

ryannn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

Done.

Better yet, fill up your wardrobe with scarves from Uniqlo. You can just wear them as clothes.

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listi, if done right, that could look steezy. But sounds really 'punkerish' which is why you may look back on it in disgust, haha.

My lab coat inevitably got really blue and green due to a lot of coomasie blue and other various dyes during spectrophotometry. I did a little bit of doodling around on it too; I drew a heart on the chest pocket. Haha, I know, lame. But It would be cool to see some lab coats in different colors with tonal trimming or something. hmmmm, i should look into this...

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

its been a while since ive lived in san marcos but if they have gap go there. anything that is not super logo-ified (yes i made that **** up) is what you want. just get maybe 2 pairs of plain (untreated) jeans and pick out some shirts but dont be a walking mannequin

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
Listi, if done right, that could look steezy. But sounds really 'punkerish' which is why you may look back on it in disgust, haha.

My lab coat inevitably got really blue and green due to a lot of coomasie blue and other various dyes during spectrophotometry. I did a little bit of doodling around on it too; I drew a heart on the chest pocket. Haha, I know, lame. But It would be cool to see some lab coats in different colors with tonal trimming or something. hmmmm, i should look into this...

Haha all the girls who got steel toed shoes instead of boots (we had to wear them in our lab because we had lots of equipment on carts and they said that was a hazard or some garbage) and then realized their skinny jeans looked awkward as hell marveled at the fact my skinny jeans and doc martens combo ACTUALLY WORKED. It's not something I wear out often, but I made it work for the summer.

The TA's in my labs have red lab coats this year heh which is pretty cool, and I've heard there is a company who makes black ones but everyone says they're a bad idea because you can't tell if you've spilled stuff on yourself.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
I have the perfect solution for you. As someone who worked in the outlet malls in San Marcos for years during college, I can tell you that there is little of interest there besides the Zegna store and occasionally the Polo store. So here's what you do.

1. Take $500.00 of the $1500.00, or drop the watch.
2. Get a ticket to New York City.
3. Go to A.P.C. for a pair of jeans.
4. Go to H&M and Uniqlo for loads of everything else. Bonus: the Uniqlo store is very close to A.P.C. in SOHO.
5. Return to Texas a better dressed person

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads