1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

shopping in switzerland

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by poorsod, Aug 13, 2006.

1. lakewolf

lakewolf Distinguished Member

2. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

I just got back from Switzerland -Geneva, Zurich and Basel.

In Geneva there is a store (Cuccino? or something like that) off rue du Rhone, several blocks east of the major shopping places, which has Stefonabi and Stefano Branchini. The Stefonabi was about 700 CHF and Stefano Branchini were 1700CHF to 2500 CHF or so. The Branchini just came that morning and they were very nice with some really interesting stitching along the welt - similar to some of what Lattanzi does. The Stefanobi were blah for the price and Blake stitched. Domenico Vaccas Stefanobis are much nicer but much more expensive.

In Zurich I looked at St. Crispins at Dolph Schmidt. They were going for about 1200-1500 CHF I think. They are very nice, at least comparable to my RTW JL Paris. The toe shapes are different with a very high toe box but still quite interesting. Apparently you can get them from Vienna for about $800, if that is true, it is definately worth it. I don't remember who mentioned that St. Crispins was some of the best he's seen (was it jcusey?) but I am starting to agree. If I end up going to Vienna next year, I'd be sure to make an appointment for their bespoke. If it is $1600 bespoke, it's a great deal.

I went to Brogues and more in Telstrasse to look at their Vass. No U last unfortunately. They were 800CHF for calf and 1000 CHF for cordovan. I was so tempted to by their cordovan bluchers which is 1/2 price compared to BG (around $1500). Then I read on the forum about Tony Gaziano doing MTM for 450 GBP . . .

I did a little shopping in Basel but I have nothing out of the ordinary to report.

3. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Distinguished Member

Do you have a recommendation for a hotel in Zurich ?

4. Nonk

Nonk Senior Member

For something a little less prestigious (and expensive) than Vass, but nevertheless nice, keep an eye out for "Alt Wien" shoes.

They are made by C&J in Northampton and are in styles popular in that part of Europe.

I have a pair of double soled brogues from them.

I like them.

5. muelleran

muelleran Senior Member

Do you have a recommendation for a hotel in Zurich ?

What price range are you looking at? Would you like to be in the center of town? Do you like like a view of the lake?

When my parents come to visit they sometimes stay at hotel zum Storchen:

http://www.storchen.ch/english/index.php

It's in the center by the river yet it's quiet.

6. rssmsvc

I was thinking in Old town, and price is anything under 350USD per night.

7. muelleran

muelleran Senior Member

I was thinking in Old town, and price is anything under 350USD per night.

OK, I assume you need a 2 person room.
    Turns out that most hotels in the old town are either very expensive or are hotels for backpackers mostly.
    In case you are travelling alone I recommend to try to stay at the top hotels as you might with luck get a room at about $350 and I think it's well worth it.
    The top hotels in old town are: The Widder, the Savoy, the Baur au Lac, (Storchen).

http://www.widderhotel.ch/
    http://www.savoy-zuerich.ch/
    http://www.bauraulac.ch/

There are some execptions i.e. nice hotels below $350.

Wellenberg: Right in the center of the old town, located at quite a busy place, very many restaurants right there.
    Weekday 2 Pers. starts at $320.
    http://www.hotel-wellenberg.ch/

Hotel Schweizerhof - at Bahnhofstrasse, the main shopping street. A lot to do during the day. Caution - Bahnhofstrasse is dead at night - at night you'll have to walk across the river (where hotel Wellenberg is located).
    about $390
    http://www.hotelschweizerhof.com/

Hotel Central Plaza - old town - It might be me, but I don't like this one. My parents stayed there once and I felt sorry for them - I did not like their room, but there might be better rooms available. However, if you don't know what a tramway sounds like, especially when it turns around a corner, this place might be ideal to learn all about it.
    About $290
    http://www.central.ch/

A little further away from old town but close to your price:

Hotel Opera - a stonethrow from the beginning of old town and from the lake
    Weekday 2 Pers. starts at $255.
    http://www.operahotel.ch/

Neues Schloss Arabella Sheraton - within walking distance from old town, it's a Sheraton, you'll know what you'll get.
    about $320
    http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...IM=SI_CCTLD_DE

Note: there are, of course many nice hotels some distance from old town that are cheaper.

Hotel Rex comes to mind
    http://www.zuerich-hotels.ch/hotel_rex/index_rex.php
    Walk 10-15 min or take the tram and you're downtown.
    About $160.

Hope that helps - if you actually find something let me know, at least I can tell you if it's located at a convenient location.

8. aarghh

aarghh Senior Member

I have stayed at Hotel Seegarten in the Seefeld area, and recommend it. Rooms were comfortable, bright and clean, and while its not in the center of things, its just a quick tramride from downtown.

9. rssmsvc

10. Christofuh

Christofuh Distinguished Member

How expensive are Patek Philippe models in Switzerland ? The cheapest new watch I've seen here cost $8K. A step-up model ( barely different either mechanically or in terms of style ) was already in the double-digit price range.
    Also, is Swiss VAT refundable to US nationals @ the border crossing ?

11. tchoy

tchoy Distinguished Member

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU !

My dad is going this trip and decided to try:
    http://www.storchen.ch/english/index.php

but it was sold out so he went with your suggestion of the Baurdelac.

We just got back from Zurich, we also stay at the Baur Au Lac for four nights.
    The hotel is very grand and the service was exceptional.
    The Sunday brunch at the hotel is highly recommened, quite a lavish affair with some very smartly dress people, it make me feel underdress.

12. hermes

hermes Distinguished Member

christofuh-

you will find that, in geneva at least, there isn't much of a price difference for high end watches between the geneva prices and the prices you find elsewhere in the world at an authorized dealer - i have not found patek prices to be really any less but then i really haven't done that detailed a price comparison because it's outside of my price range

overall, if you spend at least CHF400+ (i think it went up this year to something like CHF425???), there is a bit of a saving because yes you do qualify for the refund of swiss tax when you leave the country (ask for the tax free refund form when you make a purchase)

there are actually two levels of refund which most people don't know about:

if you want an immediate refund, you only actually get back around 6% (i may be off on the number) at the refund booth at the time you leave the country at either geneva or zurich airports; if you want the full 7.6% refund, you get your form stamped by customs and the store will give you an envelope to have it mailed back to the store through customs and the store will then credit your credit card the full refund amount

13. observer

observer Well-Known Member

Fortunately I live in Geneva, the international city that is like a micro-manhattan,...

Sir, as a visitor to Geneva (about 4 to 5 visits a year, of upto 2-3 weeks at a time), and having some familiarity with Manhattan as well, I am somewhat perplexed by your reference to Geneva being a small-scale Manhattan

14. rssmsvc

We just got back from Zurich, we also stay at the Baur Au Lac for four nights.
    The hotel is very grand and the service was exceptional.
    The Sunday brunch at the hotel is highly recommened, quite a lavish affair with some very smartly dress people, it make me feel underdress.

Is there a festival going on there , because all the rooms at other hotels are all sold out.

15. muelleran

muelleran Senior Member

Is there a festival going on there , because all the rooms at other hotels are all sold out.
    No particular festival - there's a larger trade fair going on until the end of the month. But then Baur Au Lac claim they are located at the best spot in Zurich and I think they aren't kidding. They also have a little park on that piece of real estate - you can't do better than that. [​IMG]