• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Sicily - any advice?

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on shopping in Sicily? I'll be there soon for a week of family vacation, staying in Taormina and Agrigento. I think that Stefano Corsini belts may come from Sicily, but other than that, I don't know anything in particular to look for.

If you know of great products from Sicily or great places to shop in Taormina and Agrigento, please let me know. Note that I travel frequently to Milan, so no need to recommend Italian brands found throughout the country.

Thanks.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Leave the clothes, take the cannoli!!!"

749px-Cannoli_siciliani.jpg

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
"Leave the clothes, take the cannoli!!!"

Cannoli is my favorite Italian dessert, by far. I'll be hard pressed to limit myself to two a day.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the two sites mentioned no too many tourist adn the rpices are high for the region. closest place where the shopping is reasonable would be catania, but again nothing really great is to be found there either. the other possibility i am sure there are some decent leather workers, and ceramics in the area but without speaking a dialect of the region one should just proabaly enjoy the sites.

Johnathan

Reaction score
As far as food goes, make sure you try panelle and pasta coi sardi.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
Cannoli is my favorite Italian dessert, by far. I'll be hard pressed to limit myself to two a day.

Sicilians are big on sweets. Gelato is on another level. In general we found the food in Sicily to be amazing.

Taormiona is a magical place that is unfortunately being ruined by tourism. The Greek theater is incredible. Take a stroll up the hill to the tiny village of Castlemola for lunch. Agrigento is also amazing, more so for its temples and ruins than its geographical placement. I would focus on food and scenery - shopping in Sicily is a little bit touristy, but more ceramica instead of t-shirts.

Are you drving? Noto and Siracusa are worth a day trip...

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you enjoy wine, don`t forget to try the local Sicilian wine. They make very good quality wines at very reasonable prices. The nero d`avola type wines are especially good.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to Palermo a few years ago and loved it. Sicily is a real treat. I wish we had more time to get out and about, but it was a weekend jaunt.

Not really helpful, but I was impressed with the number of small menswear shops in Palermo, although quality didn't look spectacular.

Oh, and read Andrea Camilleri if you haven't. His Montalbano books are a treat.

plotter

Reaction score
Yo yo, talk to mafoofan. He is the Milanese ******** along with Phat Guido, but I am not sure if PG ever went to Italy.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan

Are you drving? Noto and Siracusa are worth a day trip...

Thanks Romafan. Yes, we'll have a car, and we'll be sure to visit those spots.

Dragon, yes, I'm a wine fan with a modest collection, but my knowledge of Sicilian wines begins and ends with Planeta. Since no one is recommending the shopping, my priorities will be sightseeing, relaxing with the family, and enjoying the local food and wine.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reggio and messina are worth visiting as well if you have an auto. only thing worth mentionign for clotes could possibly be a samll shoe fabricator near cosenza. but that is roughly a 2 day trip is not worth visiting.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I went to Palermo a few years ago and loved it. Sicily is a real treat. I wish we had more time to get out and about, but it was a weekend jaunt.

Not really helpful, but I was impressed with the number of small menswear shops in Palermo, although quality didn't look spectacular.

Oh, and read Andrea Camilleri if you haven't. His Montalbano books are a treat.

When going through the Holliday & Brown racks at C21 I've noticed a bunch of Palermo mens' store labels...

+1 on Camillieri. Next 'installment' due in April....

As far as wine goes, I wouldn't worry too much about boning up on Sicilian vintners. As with the rest of Italy, red or white house will provide what you need for an enjoyable meal. Corvo used to be the label, but Sicilian viticulture come a long way in the last 10 years or so...
http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art100.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads