• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Seoul S. Korea

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the very least you need to check out both Migliore and Doota. Migliore often has free pop concerts out front at night:
w0200707043876607317831as3.jpg
dong061f048ddp7.jpg
450pxseouldongdaemunmarlh0.jpg
90884161pa2.jpg
28075947zj6.jpg
94652110hp4.jpg
Be sure to stop at the information desk on the first floor and tell them you're a "Kojaengee" looking for men's clothes. They'll direct you to the proper floor (in the Dongdaemoon Doota, for example, there are 9 floors with two basement floors, so it's easy to get lost!) When you get tired of shopping, remember there's a food court on the top floor.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most brands you're familiar with will probably be more expensive in Asia. I'll leave it up to others to recommend Korean brands....

injung

Reaction score
Unless you can tell the quality of clothes by sight and feel I probably wouldn't recommend buying clothes there. Even the Korean brand names can be very expensive.

On the other hand, if you want random cheap but entertaining crap I'm sure you'll have a blast =).

Brian SD

Reaction score
There's a half-decent men's clothing like called "Codes Combine basic+" that has a few stores in Seoul. It's basically your standard Dior Homme affair, but pretty affordable and surprisingly decent quality.

Giordano is kind of like a Korean H&M, but more expensive. Quality is probably about the same as H&M. Those stores are everywhere.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can find a bluetooth headset big enough to engrave your name on.

(Check the briefcase thread again)
tongue.gif

dizzhizz

Reaction score
To the OP, just pm or list should you need some specific references! In general, the quality of a lot of those high rise swap meets in Dongdaemun are quite poor and are filled with tons of knock-off goods but make for an interesting shopping experience.

YOU MUST BE ABLE TO BARGAIN WITH THESE GUYS AS THIS IS THE STANDARD PRACTICE WHEN SHOPPING AT THESE VENUES!!!

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey dizz and others, more about what I'm looking for.

First thing that came to mind was slim fitting clothing. I thought that might be more readily available there. I don't want anything that is loud or has branding all over it. Definitely no nonsensical English scrawled on there!

Second thing was tailored clothing since labor is cheaper. I think I have enough suits but maybe dress shirts or something MTM.

Third, and this is a bit out there, but I thought I'd wear some items that I want worked on like my leather coat that has a small tear, a thrifted Trafalgar belt that is 2" too big, a pair of shoes for resoling, etc. People that repair or work on items like these seem few and far between in the US and I thought Korea might have more shops willing to do that type of work.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Hey dizz and others, more about what I'm looking for.

First thing that came to mind was slim fitting clothing. I thought that might be more readily available there. I don't want anything that is loud or has branding all over it. Definitely no nonsensical English scrawled on there!

Second thing was tailored clothing since labor is cheaper. I think I have enough suits but maybe dress shirts or something MTM.

Third, and this is a bit out there, but I thought I'd wear some items that I want worked on like my leather coat that has a small tear, a thrifted Trafalgar belt that is 2" too big, a pair of shoes for resoling, etc. People that repair or work on items like these seem few and far between in the US and I thought Korea might have more shops willing to do that type of work.

I PM'd about the first two. Regarding your last request, there are a lot of places that can fix/alter leather goods, shoes, etc. There are a bunch of local cobblers around in the business areas and can replace soles, laces and any other shoe needs. As for alterations, you can find many hole-in-the-wall type establishments that will fix your belt, jacket, etc. for relatively cheap (in terms of US prices at least).

tardisrider

Reaction score
I have to put in another recommendation for Hahn's Tailor in Itaewon. I've had many suits made in both Bangkok and Seoul---some disappointing and others just fine---but for the best quality, fit, and overall experience, Hahn's is by far the best. Of course, they are more expensive than other tailors in the area, but it's really a case of getting what you pay for. Recently, I discovered a minor problem with a 6week old suit that had been made at Hahn's, and when I took it too them they immediatley recognized and repaired the problem at no charge.

As someone else said, Dongdaemun is more fun for a shopping experience than for real shopping, and unless you have some knowledge of not only clothing but also Korean language and prices, it is a real crapshoot. Not to mention the fact that it is a real maze...but that just makes it more fun for walking around if you have the right attitude.

Also, OP, I know that you said "Definitely no nonsensical English scrawled on there," but keep in mind that these t-shirts and such can make great souvenirs and gifts for people back home, wherever that happens to be.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out Migliore and Doota at Dongdaemun: They had an entertaining performance outside Migliore. A pop singer followed by a funny comic group. The merchandise was so-so quality. There were a lot of peacoat-type styles that I liked for < $150 but I didn't buy anything. Of course I was approached about fakes and I looked at some watches (Rolex, Hermes, IWC, Frank Muller, Breitling, etc.) but I don't buy fakes. This was a fun night time activity. I went to some department stores like Lotte: Everything was expensive. I'm not paying $150 for a Zegna tie. What tempted me was that there was a large selection of size < 38 suits including a solid navy Pal Zileri for about $750? If it was a few years ago with 1250 Won/$1 I might've done it but not this time at 900 Won/$1. This forum with the buy & sell and thrifting threads has really shifted my perception of value. I didn't have time to visit any tailors... Thanks for the advice all.

Karo

Reaction score
Been there a few months ago, kinda disappointed with so many counterfeit items tho. Nonetheless its a very nice place, so another visit due april.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads