• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in rome

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have tentative plans to go to Rome for spring break (mid-March). How's the shopping there? Weather? Proximity to other cities such as Venice, Milan? Recommendations for where to stay (student budget please)?
Sorry, but I've never been to Italy and am just looking for information. Thanks.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you ask. I'll be in Rome tomorrow and sunday. Next week I'll have some info for you. I too am on a student budget, so we'll relate. What I do know is that Milan is 5-6 hr away by train, Venice may be a little longer. Check out Tren Italia for specific timetables. As for shopping, Milan is just OK. I'd say New York is better. There isn't really that much to see in Milan (other than the Duomo and Galeria), so you may want to skip it. Rome, I heard is good, but i'll let you know for sure soon. I suggest you hit up the smaller towns in the countryside such as: Lucca, Pisa, Napoli, Siena, ect... Good choice on making Rome your primary city; ask any Italian and they'll tell you the best city in Italy is Rome.

feltva

Reaction score
I just returned from a trip to Northern Italy: Venice, Florence, Sienna and Pisa. It's beautiful there, with a million things to do and see, so I'll skip the tour guide info and address your question about shopping. Rome will have no end of fashionable stores and botiques and you can easily blow a lot of money picking up items you can't get in the US. I reccommend you learn enough Italian to converse, briefly, with the store owner (even though they will know English) and let them know your European sizing, which differs from US sizes. ( http://www.gibi.com.ph/charts.htm ). Be sure to bring plenty of dressier clothes and shoes, as almost all Italians dress very well, especially in comparison to Americans. No tennis shoes and backpacks. Enjoy, have a good time. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I just got back from the weekend in Rome. The shopping there is excellent, especially for tailored clothing. Better than Florence, about the same as Milan, if not better. A good place to start is The Spanish Steps; that's where all the designer shops are. Tailored clothing can be found at any three Brioni boutiques, D'Avenza, or Ravizzi (high end) or the many other nameless boutiques that offer discounted Zegna, Canali and other lesser-known names.

While in Rome definatly take advantage of the sights. I particularly recommend the Vatican City, it is really amazing, and of course the ruins.

The times I gave you on the trains are wrong. Florence is actually an hour and a half away from Rome, and Milan is 3 hr from Florence. So, about 4 and a half hours to Milan from Rome.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Here are some of my suggestions for Rome: Good Website: http://www.italiantourism.com SHOPPING Anyplace on the streets in front of the Spanish Steps have great shops (many listed below) Flea Market Sunday Porta Portese, off Viale de Trastevere Sermoneta on Piazza di Spagna (leather driving gloves) From "Style and the Man": \tAngelo, Via Bissolati 34 \tBattistioni, Via Condotti 61A \tBrioni, Via Barberini 79 \tCaraceni, Via Campania 61B \tMassimo Datti, Via Bocca de Leone 89 \tGatto, Via Salandra 34 \tMicocci, Largo Fontanella Borghese 78 \tOld bond Street, Via Gregoriana 47 \tCarlo Palazzi, Via Borgognona 7E \tSerafini, Via Condotti 62 RESTAURANTS Le Cupole, Via Lucrezio Caro, 21/C Gran Caffe Visconti, Ristorante Myosotis, Vicolo della Vaccarella 3/5 Papa Baccus Ristorante, Via Toscana 36 For ice cream - Gioliti, Via del Uffici del Vicario 40 Campo de Fiori on the Campo de Fiori Caffe'della Pace, Via della Pace Augusto's in Trastevere at Piazza dei Rnzi Sora Margherita at Piazza delle Cinque Scole 30 Let us know what you buy. Andy

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents, thanks for all the replies.

One more question though:
I was reading something about the taxes in Italy for Americans. Can someone speak on this?
I'm an American and plan on doing some shopping in Rome and Venice. I read something about having to pay some kind tax, but that the tax can be refunded somehow...
Is there some kind of paper work that needs to be filled out?
Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

BjornH

Reaction score
There is a value added tax included in (almost) all the prices you see in europe. It can vary betweeen countries from perhaps 15 to 20% of the total. When you buy goods that you can take out of the country you can usually ask for a tax refund paper to be filled out in the shop if the total amount is higher than their mininum - usually a round number in the local currency, perhaps around $50. The stores usually advertise this service with a sticker by the entrance wher they put the Visa and Eurocard/Mastercard stickers and often prominently by the cash-register. You can be asked for your passport, but in some countries you can fill out most of the details yourself, including the passport details. It's a good idea to take the passport with you on the first day of shopping until you find out the local conventions. This form is now, in a sense money, and will give you perhaps 75% of the tax back. You have to take care to go to the customs booth at the airport before you check in and you can be asked to show the merchandize (that almost never happens). The customs people will then stamp the form, giving you proof that you are taking the goods out of europe. As soon as you have checked in and entered the tax-free area of the airport, you can go to the Tax refund booth and collect your money or have it transfered to your credit card. Easy money - I've used it a lot and saved myself a good sum. Hope this helps, BH

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you spend over $150 (at a particular store), then you are elidgible for a tax refund. In Italy the tax is 12%, so it will add up to alot after awhile. Wherever you shop, just ask the merchant for the appropriate paperwork to fill out. After you go through customs the money will be refunded.

waljo88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
Ok, so I just got back from the weekend in Rome. The shopping there is excellent, especially for tailored clothing. Better than Florence, about the same as Milan, if not better. A good place to start is The Spanish Steps; that's where all the designer shops are. Tailored clothing can be found at any three Brioni boutiques, D'Avenza, or Ravizzi (high end) or the many other nameless boutiques that offer discounted Zegna, Canali and other lesser-known names.

While in Rome definatly take advantage of the sights. I particularly recommend the Vatican City, it is really amazing, and of course the ruins.

The times I gave you on the trains are wrong. Florence is actually an hour and a half away from Rome, and Milan is 3 hr from Florence. So, about 4 and a half hours to Milan from Rome.

Can anyone give me specifics on where to shop for discounted clothing in Italy.
My brother is there now and went shopping at Castel Romano Outlets.

He was talking about the 40 Euro D & G dress shirts and the ties at 35 euros. Also about the Zegna shirt deals. Everything is cheaper at the outlets.

Does anyone have any specifics on other must have shopping centres. Anyone know where you can grab some armani, versace, gucci and the like for cheap. I would love your help thanks.

He is near the spanish steps. I know he should ask there, but italians arent too good with english (even though many know how to speak it). Even getting an iron is a mission.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads