• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Rio De Janeiro

catch22

Reaction score
I'm going to be on vacation in Rio De Janeiro for about 2 weeks.  Any recommendations for stores, brands or types of goods to check out while down there.  Its my first time in South America and am getting pretty excited about the trip - figured I may as well supplement the new tan & beach bumming w/ some shopping - in a country where the exchange rate isnt absolutely atrocious.

Any other recommendations while down there.  I'm a 25 yr old male if this helps the process.

Thanks.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should post this. I'll also be in Rio, for 2 weeks in June, and want to know specifically about shoes (Brazil is known for its leather goods), and perhaps suits. Hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on your thread.
wink.gif

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good friends of mine vacation periodically in Rio. Their #1 piece of advice: leave ALL jewelry at home. Wear a plastic watch (ouch.) and beware of the pickpocketing, which is epidemic. Very nice and very rough neighborhoods just aren't that far apart.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good friends of mine vacation periodically in Rio. Their #1 piece of advice: leave ALL jewelry at home. Wear a plastic watch (ouch.) and beware of the pickpocketing, which is epidemic. Very nice and very rough neighborhoods just aren't that far apart.
Good advice.

Jon.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the safety reminders. This will be my second 2-week stay in Brazil, including Rio, so I'm familiar with some of the hazards. I'm going ostensibly for business, so I know locals who can help keep me out of trouble, unless I get careless when I'm on my own.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked with a guy once who was brazilian, but lived outside of the country and sold to brazil (for an american company). when he went, he would dress in shorts and flip flops and carry a big plastic backpack, in which would be his suit and papers and stuff. just before going into a meeting, he would change into the suit. He claimed it was the best way to keep from being robbed, because he looked and talked like a working class brazillian nobody bothered him.

I know any number of people who have been muged and carjacked there, keep your eyes open.

Oltmann

Reaction score
Wear this shirt; no one will mess with you.
regata_cb_branca_pet.jpg

catch22

Reaction score
already have the flip flops & seiko orange monster ready to go... Should i take my maui jims or bring cheaper sunglasses...

Also - any suggestions on stores brands to check out?

tgfny

Reaction score
My ex used to go down there for work monthly. For women, Francesca Romana jewelry is the stuff. They have a gallery on Madison accross from me and its 3 times the Brazil prices. Havaiana flip flops are the other thing. There are a couple of Brazilian swim suit makers (Brazilian cut) and one men's swimsuit maker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads