• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in prague and vienna???

TyRi

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Prague and Vienna next week and wondering if anyone knew of any shopping stops that I shouldn't miss.
Thanks_

FRATERNITYSTUD

Reaction score
To start off, I need to say how awesome it is to study abroad...Any college students in this forum should definitely get involved.

Well, I have made friends here from both Vienna and Prague, and here are the main places for Prague, and I will get back to you on Vienna.

*Na Prikopech--Street
*Vaclavske namesti--Square
*Narodni Frida--Street
*Staromestske Namesti--Square

thc

Reaction score
Both cities have all the heavy hitters like Prada, Gucci, etc. In Vienna, check out Knize, a very famous menswear store, and Helmut Lang since Vienna's his home town.

Joe G

Reaction score
Shopping in Wien, my specialty lately....

Essentially, there are 2 shopping districts, the 1. Bezirk (the Innenstadt) and Mariahilferstrasse.

The first district is where all of the high-end stuff is. The street that leads from the Staatsoper to the Stephansdom is called Kaertnerstr. It's not too interesting. Before you go up Kaertnerstr., take the time to go around Hotel Sacher. There's an excellent firm that sells raw fabrics and does custom suits. The name escapes me at the moment, though. Also, near there is Zum Jockey Club, a house that has existed since Kaiserliche times and for my money does the finest bespoke shirts in the world.

Back to Kaertnerstr. It has a few H&M's (it's not a long street), a Bally, Benetton, Sisley, and a store called Bernhart that sells marques such as Energie, Paper Cloth, and Diesel. Off Kaertnerstr., you'll find one of the two Ludwig Reiter stores. (Ludwig Reiter is one of the world's premiere cobblers, up there with John Lobb.) One of Austria's department stores, Steffl, has a decent selection of modern designers in the "Gil-Area" on its bottom floor (Don Gil is Austria's largest upper-high-end menswear chain.) Also, they offer Gap jeans -- at 86 euro a pop. The chain shoe stores (Salamander, other escapes me) are decent. Their K-str locations will offer Mezlan and Alden.

Once you reach the end of Kaertnerstr., you'll find Stephansplatz. On Stephansplatz you'll find a Bruno Magli store and Vienna's flagship Zara. (The Zara 150m down on K-str is womenswear only.) Off Stephansplatz, you'll find Graben and Seilerstrasse. Seilerstrasse features Helmut Lang's first store (if no longer his flagship, which is in NYC), and a store called Phillip Maly that offers some nice stuff, including Tod's shoes at much lower prices than in the USA.

Go towards Graben, and you'll be greeted by E. Braun & Co. This store is one of Vienna's two premiere establishments for gentlemen. They are also closing for two months for renovations starting on 1. July, so right now they are having AMAZING sales. Ferragamo, Gucci, Zegna, Etro ties: 30 euro. Brioni & Kiton ties: 50 euro. Loro Piana, Valentino, Zegna, Brioni, Kiton: 50% off. They'll reopen in September.

Graben has its fair share of good shopping. Vienna's other gentleman's must-see destination, Knize, is am Graben. They offer Brioni and Loro Piana as well as their own products. Off the top of my head, there's a good Hermes store, a Louis Vuitton that carries some of their clothing and all of their shoes,

At the end of Graben, you'll find Julius Meinl am Graben, Austria's most famous supermarket. You can go two ways. One direction is Kohlmarkt. Kohlmarkt is the traditional designer street. You'll find Cartier, Gucci, Loro Piana, "House of Gentleman (carries Burberry, DAKS, others), and such there. Go the other way, and you'll be on Tuchlauben. There's Vienna's best ice-cream parlour (Eissalon Tuchlauben) as well as a Rene Lizard store. Further down, you'll find emis, which carries an excellent selection of more exotic designers (Issey Miayke, Yohji Yamamoto, Jil Sander, etc.)

Other designers are represented in Vienna, and they'll have signs on K-str or Graben pointing to their stores. These include Zegna and Prada.

Mariahilferstr is a definite step-down from the Innenstadt. To get there from Stephansplatz, take the U3 to Museumsquartier, Neubaugasse, Z-something-gasse, or Westbahnhof. The main attractions there are the bottom floor ("Young Fashion") of the Cologne-based department store Peek & Cloppenberg, which carries PS by Paul Smith and other stuff. Otherwise, there's Zara right above the Neubaugasse U-bahnhof. There are also six or seven H&M's, one of which is just women.

As for Prague, it's never occurred to me to go shopping there. Too much good food and good brew available. For peanuts. That said, I do usually pay a call to Alfred Dunhill when I'm in town.

Peace,

JG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads