Shopping in Napoli...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davesmith, Oct 9, 2011.

1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I know there are a few threads that exist on this topic but I have been unable to find the exact answer to my question

I know what I am going there to see, E.G. Cappelli, Marinella, Finamore, Anna
    Mattuzzo, Attolini, Rubinacci etc..

My problem is, where are these places?? I'm not so sure how the Italian addresses work and the results I find from the companies websites and then when I look on google maps I can't find the place or the street view looks like some run down area! (for example, if you look at kitons address on google maps it is on some island off the coast of Napoli... Is this correct?)

Does a good guide exist anywhere to help me out?? How do guys that went there previously find their way around? Also I'm going middle of November, is that ok?

Thanks in advance

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

If you like lousy weather it's the perfect time to go.

October, November, December are usually cool and very damp.

3. davesmith

It's the ony opportunity I have really so I don't care about the weather as long as the stores are open!

4. davesmith

It's the ony opportunity I have really so I don't care about the weather as long as the stores are open!

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

As it never gets REALLY cold it's actually not terrible, but the damp can be pretty pervasive so bring some fairly sturdy shoes for walking about. And something to break the wind. A light leather/suede jacket with a sweater under is about perfect.

I'm afraid I can't help you with store locations, as I rarely spend time looking for clothes when I travel. I didn't buy a single thing to wear while I was in Italia last month.

:butbut:

6. davesmith

Quote:
    That is a crime.

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Perhaps, but Italian goods purchased in Italy are often no lower in price than they are here in the US. As there is that pesky 20% VAT. So anything that is routinely exported to the US is usually a better buy here more often than not. There are, of course, the tailors and custom shops to consider (When in Rome I spent 5 minutes in the Rubanacci shop.) As well as the handmade and small scale leather shops. But again, rarely much patience on my part for clothes when there is so much art and architecture to see.

8. davesmith

Quote:
    what VAT do i have to pay? when i buy or when leaving the country??

Quote:
    never understood that smiley...

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I am not prepared to discuss at this time

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

The 20% VAT is included in the sale price as marked in the store. If you are willing to go through some hassles you can potential get some of it back upon leaving the country. Some merchants will remove the tax at the time of purchase if you show a US passport, but many won't. http://www.italylogue.com/planning-a-trip/how-to-get-a-vat-refund-in-italy.html

11. davesmith

Quote:
    even paying in cash?

12. sns23

sns23 Senior member

getting the VAT back is very easy.

13. mauser

mauser Senior member

Some help for the original inquiry.

Marinella is on Riviera de Chiaia, towards the eastern end of the street. Via Calabritto, right around the corner, is a good source for at least Barba and Finamore shirts and other stuff. I reckon Finamore has a standalone store there, and there were a couple of excellent multi brand stores on that street. Attolini is either on via Alabardieri or via Gaetano Filangeri that has multiple other stores that may be of interest. The few blocks around Piazza dei Martiri is a good bet for Naples shopping needs.

If you need the nicest of umbrellas, Mario Talarico has them. Talarico has two shops, the other is a simple touristy umbrella shop and the other is the atelier that produces the handmade umbrellas. Search the forum for the address - however it is on one of the small streets off via Toledo. I think I have their shopping bag at home so if you need the exact address PM me, I'll try and search for the information for you.

The TimeOut Naples guide also lists a few exact addresses. I think it's got the address for Anna Mattuzzo. Have a good time.

14. davesmith

thanks, i love this forum... the info here is GOLD!!