• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Napoli...

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I know there are a few threads that exist on this topic but I have been unable to find the exact answer to my question

I know what I am going there to see, E.G. Cappelli, Marinella, Finamore, Anna
Mattuzzo, Attolini, Rubinacci etc..

My problem is, where are these places?? I'm not so sure how the Italian addresses work and the results I find from the companies websites and then when I look on google maps I can't find the place or the street view looks like some run down area! (for example, if you look at kitons address on google maps it is on some island off the coast of Napoli... Is this correct?)

Does a good guide exist anywhere to help me out?? How do guys that went there previously find their way around? Also I'm going middle of November, is that ok?

Thanks in advance

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like lousy weather it's the perfect time to go.

October, November, December are usually cool and very damp.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It's the ony opportunity I have really so I don't care about the weather as long as the stores are open!

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It's the ony opportunity I have really so I don't care about the weather as long as the stores are open!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As it never gets REALLY cold it's actually not terrible, but the damp can be pretty pervasive so bring some fairly sturdy shoes for walking about. And something to break the wind. A light leather/suede jacket with a sweater under is about perfect.

I'm afraid I can't help you with store locations, as I rarely spend time looking for clothes when I travel. I didn't buy a single thing to wear while I was in Italia last month.

:butbut:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
I'm afraid I can't help you with store locations, as I rarely spend time looking for clothes when I travel. I didn't buy a single thing to wear while I was in Italia last month.
butbut.gif

That is a crime.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
That is a crime.
Perhaps, but Italian goods purchased in Italy are often no lower in price than they are here in the US. As there is that pesky 20% VAT. So anything that is routinely exported to the US is usually a better buy here more often than not. There are, of course, the tailors and custom shops to consider (When in Rome I spent 5 minutes in the Rubanacci shop.) As well as the handmade and small scale leather shops. But again, rarely much patience on my part for clothes when there is so much art and architecture to see.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Perhaps, but Italian goods purchased in Italy are often no lower in price than they are here in the US. As there is that pesky 20% VAT. So anything that is routinely exported to the US is usually a better buy here more often than not.
There are, of course, the tailors and custom shops to consider (When in Rome I spent 5 minutes in the Rubanacci shop.) As well as the handmade and small scale leather shops. But again, rarely much patience on my part for clothes when there is so much art and architecture to see.

what VAT do i have to pay? when i buy or when leaving the country??

Quote:

never understood that smiley...

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quote:

Quote:
I am not prepared to discuss at this time

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

Quote:
The 20% VAT is included in the sale price as marked in the store. If you are willing to go through some hassles you can potential get some of it back upon leaving the country. Some merchants will remove the tax at the time of purchase if you show a US passport, but many won't. http://www.italylogue.com/planning-a-trip/how-to-get-a-vat-refund-in-italy.html

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

sns23

Reaction score
getting the VAT back is very easy.

mauser

Reaction score
Some help for the original inquiry.

Marinella is on Riviera de Chiaia, towards the eastern end of the street. Via Calabritto, right around the corner, is a good source for at least Barba and Finamore shirts and other stuff. I reckon Finamore has a standalone store there, and there were a couple of excellent multi brand stores on that street. Attolini is either on via Alabardieri or via Gaetano Filangeri that has multiple other stores that may be of interest. The few blocks around Piazza dei Martiri is a good bet for Naples shopping needs.

If you need the nicest of umbrellas, Mario Talarico has them. Talarico has two shops, the other is a simple touristy umbrella shop and the other is the atelier that produces the handmade umbrellas. Search the forum for the address - however it is on one of the small streets off via Toledo. I think I have their shopping bag at home so if you need the exact address PM me, I'll try and search for the information for you.

The TimeOut Naples guide also lists a few exact addresses. I think it's got the address for Anna Mattuzzo. Have a good time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics