• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Naples Today

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came back to Naples yesterday for an extended weekend, and spent this morning doing a bit of shopping. A couple of funny things happened that I thought it was worth sharing. Firstly it was full of tourist that are here to watch the American Cup boat race.

I first dropped some fabric for a new trouser and then went to Piccolo on Via Chiaia (The shirting Merchant) to buy a couple of shirting fabric. We spent a good 45 minutes looking at Fabric and talking about tailoring in general, so much so that Mr Piccolo was very enthusiastic about my knowledge of fabric and tailoring in general. He was also full of praise for my shirtmaker, Vincenzo Prisco, even thought they also make shirts in House. I left with a "millerighe" in medium blue and the lightest sky blue Fil a Fil (ends on ends) both from Testa (the millerighe was Atelier Romentino by Testa)

I then went to smaller shop further down the road. They sells mainly houshold fabrics, but also have a shirting department if you venture in and ask. I bought a lenght of Thomas Mason's White twill that I had seen on a previous visit but did not take the first time. Again we talked at lenght about shirt fabrics.

I continued walking to Piazza de Martiri and popped in at Utturale to check out their ties. Whilst I was there, Mr Panico walked in with a female customer from Japan. Mr Panico was helping the lady choosing some pocket square for her housband and althought they somehow managed to understand each other, I offer to help with some english translation. It was a pleasure to meet Mr Panico and he even invited me for a coffee at his Sartoria if I ever passed by for a chat. I have to say he his and act like a true gentelment of generation pasts.

Below the goods I cam home with. I also picked a couple of midnight blue full sock by Gallo in Filo di Scozia

Dodo

Reaction score
Great choices!! Naples is a beautifull city and a great place to shop great shirts and ties. What is the name of the shop where you bought the Thoma Mason twill?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great choices!! Naples is a beautifull city and a great place to shop great shirts and ties. What is the name of the shop where you bought the Thoma Mason twill?

Something like "Selezioni del fine in Biancheria". In the window they mostly have bed and table linen and you would not know the have some fine shirting upstairs ( few rolls of Thomas Mason, Alumo and Carlo Riva as well as another mill with a french/German name but made in Italy. Only have what is in stock (the TM rolls appear old, probably pre albini purchase. Only other stuff that can be potentially ordered is from the one TM book they have with them).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marco, thanks for the nice report - cannot wait to go to Naples again :)

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have posted the final shirts in the Folded shirts thread.

Last three from Vincenzo Prisco:

Apologies but could not turn them... From top to bottom, Fil a Fil by Testa, White Twill with Cocktail Cuffs in Thomas Mason, Millerighe in Atelier Romentino by Testa

Here is a picture of an Houndstooth tie in white/blue and linen pocket square from Giorgio Napoli, visited after being suggested by a fellow forum member:

Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in my homecity: Extreme hot weather makes it virtually impossible walking around the city for some sales shopping, plus the sunburns I got yesterday on the seaside did not help :-(

In any case I did find some shirting on offer and bought them for future commisions from Prisco:

Top to bottom: An "Operato" by Atelier Romentino (a diagonal sateen whale on a voile structure), a new Chambray from Albini and Cellostar from SicTess. I have also ordered some "old" Loro Piana Tasmanian 120s for a pair of replacement trousers and seen some interesting Guabello fabrics from Caccippoli. On Friday I will have a fitting with Gianni Volpe and will hopefully be able to post some pictures..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads