• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Japan

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Japan Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo for two weeks at the end of April. Any suggestions on must see menswear stores. Know of Brycelands and Caid Modern Tailoring any others worth investigation? Will be staying in Roppongi while in Tokyo.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My one time in Japan I was there for work so didn't have much time to look around. But I did go to Ginza and highly recommend you check out the Kamakura store and Beams. Beams was especially great for looking around (I left with a few t-shirts), while the Kamakura items were much cheaper than in the US (I left with cuff links).

Head to Bar High Five for a cocktail afterwards (a "ginza-style" bar which means no menus you just describe what you want and they'll make it). It's pricey ($25) but if you're not satisfied with your drink they will make you another. I wasn't happy with my martini but I'm still thinking of the mezcal cocktail they replaced it with 2 years later. The 2nd cocktail would have been worth the price as a stand alone.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the OP is from, so:

There is are Boglioli and E Marinella (their pricing is nuts, but they are laser focused on small neat patterns) shops not too far from each other in Marunouchi..

Drake's has a spot in a high end mall in the Ginza

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what you are looking for. I'm going to stick with Tokyo, which I know much better than other Japanese cities.

For classic men's stuff, Simon Crompton has done a great guide, which I probably can't better, with links to Isetan, Ring Jacket and others already mentioned, and much more: https://www.permanentstyle.com/2017/05/tokyo-a-sartorial-shopping-guide.html

But the obvious place to me, at least, for its range and variety (from the latest Yohji Yamamoto catwalk stuff to classic tailoring and great accessories) is the Hankyu Men's Department Store in Chiyoda (just opposite the Yurakucho JR station): http://www.hankyu-dept.co.jp/mens-tokyo/english/

It's also very near to the Peninsular Hotel, whose top floor bar, Peter, has a happy hour from 5-7pm every day, where you can have a very reasonably-priced cocktails (around $8): https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/bars-and-pubs/peter-the-bar

In complete contrast - it's also right next to the brilliant alley of cheap eateries and drinking dens under the railway lines, that dates back to the post-WW2 illegal markets: https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/restaurants/shinbashi-yurakucho-gado-shita

Tokyo is amazing for denim and streetwear of course - my favourite little area is another 'under the tracks' ex-black market, in Ueno, called Ameyoko, where you can find Hibiya and Americaya's multiple sprawling empires amongst other great, predominantly American workwear-influenced little boutiques. See this blog (scroll down): https://loomstate.blogspot.jp/2012/09/tokyo-denim-tour-part-2-harajuku-and.html Also head just down the road to just past Okachimachi for the best socks in the world: http://glen-clyde.com/eng/chup-socks-glen-clyde-inc-socks-maker/glenclydeshop/ (there is also a very nice hat shop in the same mall).

Of course, there are all the conventional fashion stores along Omotesando, but there are a lot of great things in the backstreets around that area, which covers Harajuku / Jingumae / Aoyama - both Western and Japanese, and some pretty amazing small producers. One of my favourites is Slow Wear Lion, a briliant workwear bootmaker: http://www.slowwear.co.jp/en/ - they have a little shop called Tools Infinity.

There are also some good conventional everyday men's clothing stores that are just better then their equivalents in the west: Tomorrowland and Journal Standard (which has an excellent larger store just off Omotesando) are a couple that spring to mind.

Over in Daikanyama, you'll find hipper producers like ts(s) and 45rpm. The unique, Kapital - the best post-apocayptic hobowear you'll ever find! - has stores in Ebisu and Roppongi amongst others.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey read the SC article last night. The cocktail bar has been added to must do list thanks

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey very interesting and stimulating time. Did a lot of looking as my size 46UK/56US made purchasing anything problematic. Even all the funky socks were too small.

Bought some Sugar Cane denim and a midnight navy long sleeve Rayon Camp shirt and some short sleeved cotton Camp shirts for summer. A few other items.

Visited Ueno which was amazing, aside from denim it was all too small or overpriced.:brick:

Spent most of the time in Tokyo checking out Art. That said some of the shop fit outs and design were works of art in themselves.

Discovered a great bar in Ginza bar Evans:excellent cocktails and continuous Bill Evans music.

As General MacArthur said “I will return”

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't realise you were so incompatible with Japanese sizing!

Ginza has quite a few excellent cocktail bars - apart from Evans (which is a lovely place), I recommend Little Smith, High Five and Gaslight Eve, if you go back.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey curious as to where Japanese men with larger builds go to get clothes do they have branded Big&Tall stores? Or are there specific retailers who provide clothing for men outside of average sizing. Any department stores that you know of for that matter.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Isetan flagship I thought had a floor, or half of one for big and tall.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey curious as to where Japanese men with larger builds go to get clothes do they have branded Big&Tall stores? Or are there specific retailers who provide clothing for men outside of average sizing. Any department stores that you know of for that matter.

Sorry, being a relatively small person, I just don't know!

NycLondon

Reaction score
Prada is MUST
77030821W.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads