• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Istanbul

mrri77

Reaction score
I may be compelled to visit Istanbul shortly for business reasons. Does anyone know if there is any particulary good shopping in this city? Are there any unique brands, tailors, or cobblers offering clothing and shoes different from what can be purchased in the US or Europe? Thanks for the information.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TOPKAPI.jpg

Oh, how exciting. Can't help you with specific shops, but don't miss the Topkapi Museum! Their gift shoppe is probably a real, pleasure.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was some years back when I was there. I can't offer good tips on clothes, but in the old bazaar you'll find all kinds of interesting things. i left Istanbul with a bracelet, a pill box, a sheepskin jacket (not the best quality).
go to the old part of town- an exotic experience.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something about hashish. But, I forget
confused.gif

DM.ru

Reaction score
...turkish origin prada for 10$ at the local market (bazaar)

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Istanbul. I would focus less on shopping and try to soak up the atmosphere. Do what you can to spend a couple extra days and wander the city on foot. You won't be disappointed.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
It was some years back when I was there. I can't offer good tips on clothes, but in the old bazaar you'll find all kinds of interesting things. i left Istanbul with a bracelet, a pill box, a sheepskin jacket (not the best quality).
go to the old part of town- an exotic experience.

Ottoman-era clocks: $40,000.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Derby double edge razor blades. Really good stuff on your vintage late 1940s´s Gillette!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still call it Constantinople.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bother shopping if you are Istanbul for the first time, well shop at the bazaars, but don't bother tramping around looking at menswear till you have seen some of the sights.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrri77
I may be compelled to visit Istanbul shortly for business reasons. Does anyone know if there is any particulary good shopping in this city? Are there any unique brands, tailors, or cobblers offering clothing and shoes different from what can be purchased in the US or Europe? Thanks for the information.
You'll be much happier if you go wearing a bespoke two button mid-grey suit with narrow lapels and a slight military cut with a white Sea Island shirt and a knit tie whilst carrying a Brigg briefcase.

The Snob

Reaction score
Oh, Istanbul! Such a wonderful city. I was just there this summer. The touristy stuff is all in/around Sultanahmet (sp)--this includes the Grand Bazaar which you'll have to hit up. Great rugs and jewelry just don't get scammed.

For high fashion, Istanbul actually has a fairly hoity-toity area called (uh.. the name escapes me). It's where all the big chain foreign hotels are (Hyatt, Hilton, etc) across the Bosphorus from Sultanahmet.
There is lots of Hussein Chalayan to be had.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads