1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shopping in Africa

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, May 13, 2005.

1. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

Since finding stuff in foreign countries is game here. Has anyone found any great stuff in Africa? Am hitting Northern, Eastern, and Southern Africa soon and wanted to see if anyone had any good resources there.

2. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior Member

I'll be interested in answers here as well - specifically Tanzania.

Thanks,

Panzer

3. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

Johannesburg was at least barren, save for a Dunhill store and Armani stuff on twice the normal price and perpeptually on sale.
    The local stuff is not bad and really cheap. Decently made shirts and good children's clothes.

B

4. PHV

PHV Senior Member

If you're going shopping in Africa, you have to go to Cape Town. I don't know why people spend more than a few minutes in Jberg...

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

sorry to be dense, but are you looking specifically for mens dress clothes? if so, I am guessing that you will be dissapointed. I have never found anything like that that was really a good deal, because it is all imported and not taken very seriously.

what you will find -

relativly good priced english books, espectially of tittles out of copyright. a lot of publishers have special prices for the 3rd world.

african art. I love it, but it depends on your taste. tapestries, masks, idols, weapons. a lot of older stuff, not made for the tourist industry, is available. the best stuff, I believe, is to be found in west africa, but you can find a lot of good stuff all over. I found some bronze containers that were fantastic.

exotic woman's clothing, beads, jewlery.

good luck

6. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I understand Casablanca, Morocco, has pretty decent shopping. My mother and father were there this time last year and came back with all kinds of cool things. There's a JM Weston shoe store in Casablana if that gives an idea of what the local gentry are interested in (I doubt many tourists are buying Westons).

7. PHV

PHV Senior Member

There's tons of boutiques in Cape Town, but expect outrageous prices. The locals aren't really concerned with it, and neither are many of the tourists. As with was globetrotter said in regards to African art, he is right.

South Africa has long been aware of tourists and has therefore exploited the indigenous people. In the west you can get stuff very cheaply on the streets.

8. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

judging by the number of "i live in the UK but i own a store in Nigeria, can you sell me $10,000 worth of goods" emails I get, there must be 1,000 high-end stores there

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

nigeria is about the biggest shithole you can imagine. I would be suprised if there is one store that sells even medium quality off the rack western suits.

that said, I had a blast lst time I was there. if you are with the right people, you can be safe, and the peopel really know how to have a blast, the music is great, the women are buetiful and very inviting (I always seem to get to these places after I was married) and the food is spicy and hearty. the art for sale blows your mind.

but if you aren't traveling with the right people, be very very careful. and don't send any goods without the money up front....

10. discostu004

i never ship to africa. i explained this to someone with that lousy spiel and they sent a MO that arrived yesteday and is the worst fake MO i've ever seen. they copied the front and put $1,000 but neglected to put terms on the back, so when you read on the front "by cashing you agree to the terms on the backside" and there is nothing on the back.

11. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

You're missing a lot of opportunitise to pick up 5 or 10 percent of those $10 million deposits just left in Nigerian banks by heirs waiting for a western partner.

12. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Bananas and diamonds

13. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Scam... I feel sorry for honest people who live in Nigeria and Singapore, because any experienced ebay seller will never ship to either country. After your 5th or sixth request from misc. 0 feedback 'buyers' who want to pay with a credit card for Fed Ex shipping, you get a little leary. And they are only interested in high $$ items of course...

14. discostu004

will: wrong, whenever i get those i ALWAYS reply back usually with a serious intro, then i get into reasons i can't leave the state due to pending felony sexual assault charges or charges of bank fraud, soemthing like that, and usually they don't reply back, but sometimes they will carry on for a few weeks. it's good fun. i once had a back and forth with a cult in arizona for 2 months. it was Hi-larious

15. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Your'e kidding me. [​IMG]