Shopping for men 5'8 or under, NY Times article

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Jun 9, 2005.

1. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

An interesting article from today's NY Times Styles Section.
    Is it my imagination that even the regular sizes are getting longer and longer?

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think the real issue is wider and wider.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

" . . . Mr. Au, a genial native of Hong Kong who moved to the United States to study at Brigham Young University in 1959 and who has shrunk a bit from his original height of 5-foot-3."

His original height was 5'3"...???.. I feel bad for his mother.

4. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Jimmy Au's may be the longest surviving independent mall store I have ever seen. VH1 sent Flavor Flav shopping for a suit at Jimmy Au's on one of their reality shows. It would have been decent publicity for the store except that someone else on the show complained about being dragged to the "ghetto mall." Not that the Glendale Galleria is upscale, but I've been to far worse . . .

5. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I'm right at 5'8" and I definitely have to agree that length is often as much of or more of a problem than girth.  I'm fortunate in that I am at least proportioned in a lanky manner without stubby limbs, and I am just able to fit in 38R without having to go short, but outside of suits and sportcoats, it's a real hassle.  Length is the main reason that I avoid off the rack dress shirts (let alone when I'm looking for shirts to wear untucked), and it has also made buying jeans a royal pain, especially since I hate the cuffed jeans look.  For the most part, I'm in a pretty convenient spot as far as sizing goes, but if I still have annoyances with height/length issues, I'd hate to imagine what someone 5'3" must have to deal with.

6. Alias

Alias Senior member

I'm 5'4", but here in Asia it's not so bad.

7. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Yeah, the problem in Asia is when you are tall. Asian are so short that some "long" sleeve shirts have sleeves ending in the middle of my forearm, buses have less leg room than planes and I keep bumping my head to the top of the door when I get off.

8. gardel

gardel Well-Known Member

aybojs, you can get your jeans hemmed. Some jeans but not all have some distressing at the hem and you'd lose that. I purposely leave my jeans longer than I do my dress pants so the look isn't too fussy. I remember seeing some pictures of John Kerry during the campaign and he clearly was wearing perfectly-tailored jeans. They didn't look right.