• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping and Transportation in Miami

JohnMS

Reaction score
Will be going to Miami in May to a conference at the Hyatt Regency Miami on SE Second Avenue. I have two questions:

1. The hotel doesn't offer shuttle service so what is the best method of transportation? I won't be renting a car so am looking for alternate, reliable transportation.

2. Any bargain shopping to be had in Miami this time of the year? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only venue I can think of is the Sawgrass Mill outlet mall. They have NM Last Call and Off 5th Ave. I don't know how to get there by bus but the direction should be in the website.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha. DON'T take the bus to Sawgrass Mills -- even from Ft. Lauderdale this takes about 80 minutes and goes through some, well, rough neighborhoods (don't ask). I can't imagine how damn long it would take from Miami.

Enjoy the beach. Best shopping bargain of them all, because it's free and there are good looking women to look at. I like perusing nice suits and all, but I'd much rather spend a day on the beach.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember it took me 30 minutes from Miami to Sawgrass Mills by car, so it probably take 2 hours by public transportation. If you are determined to go there, I guess the only option is to pick up a rental car from downtown Miami.

I remember someone posted here about several months ago that he got several pairs of EG RLPL shoes with shoetrees for $299 a pair at NM Last Call Sawgrass Mills.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Miami, eh? Well, for high-end retail items you have the Village of Merrick Park in Coral Gables and Bal Harbour Shops in well, Bal Harbour. For outlet malls you have both Sawgrass Mills and the Dolphin Mall. RENT A CAR. Seriously, there is no other way to get around. Public transportation sucks. I will take you a good 4 hours of traveling just to get around on bus. There is no subway system and the train leaves you too far away from anywhere, thus you will still need to take the bus. If you don't want to actually drive for whatever reason, either higher a car service, or schedule a taxi company to pick you up and drop you off at certain locations, at certain times. Here is some info: http://www.shopdolphinmall.com/infod...itors/126.html Jon. (the Hyatt Regency doesn't have shuttle service? WTF kind of hotel doesn't have shuttle service? Hell, the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku will pick you up from Narita. And that's a good 2 hours of traffic.)

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you rent a car you are already out $80 or so, which means that even on the off chance you find some EGs at Sawgrass, the amount of sunk costs makes it not worth the risk. I've heard Dolphin Mall's Last Call is better anyways. Sawgrass Mills is a horribly depressing place, to be frank.

I did manage to do Ft. Lauderdale using nothing but public transportation. It works fine as long as you stay reasonably close to the beach and stick around a few areas. You could easily do Miami with public transportation/cabs if you were content with the beach and a couple of hot spots nearby.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, if you rent a car you are already out $80 or so, which means that even on the off chance you find some EGs at Sawgrass, the amount of sunk costs makes it not worth the risk. I've heard Dolphin Mall's Last Call is better anyways. Sawgrass Mills is a horribly depressing place, to be frank.

I did manage to do Ft. Lauderdale using nothing but public transportation. It works fine as long as you stay reasonably close to the beach and stick around a few areas. You could easily do Miami with public transportation/cabs if you were content with the beach and a couple of hot spots nearby.
Yes, Sawgrass Mills is sad. I forgot about South Beach. They have lots of shops and even a Barney's Co-Op, but it is not a place to find good deals.

Jon.

bch

Reaction score
If you are looking to travel solely by public tranportation, you can take the metromover (free) to Gov't Center. From there, take the Metrorail to Dadeland Mall. About a 45 minute trip, depending on wait time for the train, probably. Probably the best all-round mall would be aforementioned Bal Harbor (a cab ride), or the Town Center in Boca, but you need a rental car for the latter. Here's a link: http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=144 Sawgrass Mills is in Sunrise (15 miles inland from Fort Lauderdale), a little closer than Town Center. It is strictly outlet stores; it has Neimain Marcus Last Call, Off 5th, Brooks, etc.

BjornH

Reaction score
I once spent a day driving from Orlando to Sawgrass and then back. It was positively not worth it. Sawgrass is OK if you are already in Miami and have a car but not worth a long ride. The only thing I got out of it was a tan, driving a convertable, and appeciation of Sigur-Ros wich I had bought in the duty-free store at home.

Btw, renting a car in Miami is dirt cheap - why not do it ?

B

bch

Reaction score
(bch @ April 06 2005,08:46) Sawgrass Mills is in Sunrise (15 miles inland from Fort Lauderdale), a little closer than Town Center. It is strictly outlet stores; it has Neimain Marcus Last Call, Off 5th, Brooks, etc.
A lot closer. Jon.
Literally 10 miles closer. I don't think that's "a lot" unless you're walking.

stache

Reaction score
Btw, renting a car in Miami is dirt cheap - why not do it ?

B
Great until you get lost, pull over and the locals kill you. Stick to cabs.

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
Couple of thought's here...Bal Harbor is in North Miami Beach only 4-5 miles from where you are.. Neiman Marcus Sak's, Ralph Lauren, Gucci, Channel, Ferragamo, Yurman, etc etc etc... The Dolphin Mall is much closer same junk stores like Sawgrass and they too have a Last Call and Off 5th Ave...
As far as the locals killing you...Dude you need to relax and live life a bit... Sure the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale Metro area has it's rough spots, also has a ton of Billion dollar homes too... No different than any other large city throughout the U.S. Those rougher parts of town are real easy to avoid, any rental car company, hotel, tourist info can put you in the right direction...Hell South Beach is a major tourist attraction and 2 blocks over from Ocean Drive can get rough at times... The whole tourist shooting thing was late 80's early 90's and it really was isolated to a handfull of events dealing with non english speaking german tourists...Actually my wife and I will be in Boca next week and will make more than a few trips to Miami without worry...
Enjoy, if you need any help drop me a PM....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads