• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping Advice - EU Trip

hysteria

Reaction score
I'll be taking a 2w trip to Europe this Fall, with plans to be in Paris, London, Edinburgh, for a few days each. It's been years since I've been to either location and my sartorial tastes have significantly evolved in that time. I plan to stop by several stores to try out their staples and identify which items fit me well, if it at all, which will make my life much easier for future orders, or at least serve as a great reference point. Here are some obvious stores I will be visiting because I haven't owned their products before, mostly due to uncertainty about fit. Not into Saville Row or other bespoke territory yet - not even close. Focus is on shoes, shirts, and trousers.

Any suggestions for stores you'd recommend visiting? Even if 1/5 suggestions lead me somewhere interesting, it will be appreciated. Probably won't return again for a while.

London - Barba, C&J (finally get to try out their various lasts), Santa Maria Shirtmakers, Baudoin Lange, Hackett, Edward Green, Drake's, Pantherella, Belstaff
Paris - Pini Parma, Scavini, Guerlain, Carmina
Edinburgh - Walker Slater

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walker Slalter is nothing special. Mainstream tweedy British clothes.
For these type of clothes Cordings ( London) is better
Stewart Christie, Edinburgh, is a true bespoke tailor w./ some RTW
Also, for more fashion forward expensive merchandise, Dicks in Edinburgh
is worth Checking out.
Also in London definitely go to Drakes>

Last edited:

hysteria

Reaction score
Walker Slalter is nothing special. Mainstream tweedy British clothes

I've only seen them on the site. Wanted to try them out. Seems to get a lot of praise.
Their customer service is terrible though - every time I email them, I get a diff ans depending on who's responding about whether the jackets are fushed or half-canvassed lol. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@comrade Was in Paris last week and the Arthur and Fox store on Boulevard Saint-Germain was closed with the windows papered over. It’s August so maybe just closed for vacation but there was no notice posted to this effect. It looked like it had shut down??

bullethead

Reaction score
I would recommend Chato Lufsen and Artumès (if the store has reopened)
Weston and Paraboot for shoes if either style appeals to you

hysteria

Reaction score
I would recommend Chato Lufsen and Artumès (if the store has reopened)
Weston and Paraboot for shoes if either style appeals to you

I've been recommended Paraboot a few times. But, don't see them discussed much on these forums. What has been your exp with their shoes?

bullethead

Reaction score
I've been recommended Paraboot a few times. But, don't see them discussed much on these forums. What has been your exp with their shoes?
Sadly, they didn’t have any that fit me and were unresponsive to mto

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.M. Weston is a good suggestion. Their loafer sizing is unusual so definitely should visit if you like their styles.

hysteria

Reaction score
J.M. Weston is a good suggestion. Their loafer sizing is unusual so definitely should visit if you like their styles.

Always been intrigued by their loafers. They charge a pretty penny for it, so I'm keen on seeing what's so special about it. I find a lot of ppl avoid JM Weston, so not much feedback about long-term wear.

bullethead

Reaction score
Always been intrigued by their loafers. They charge a pretty penny for it, so I'm keen on seeing what's so special about it. I find a lot of ppl avoid JM Weston, so not much feedback about long-term wear.

hysteria

Reaction score
I love the 180. i have 6 pair and have nothing negative to write

Thanks for the feedback. Why do you think JM Weston charges such a hefty price of rthese compared to hihg-walled loafers by others like CJ, Carmima, etc. Do you find the quality of leather and construction to be far superior? It looks great, but it is a hefty tag for a pair of loafers. Or is it just prestige? Very keen on trying it out in Paris.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Why do you think JM Weston charges such a hefty price of rthese compared to hihg-walled loafers by others like CJ, Carmima, etc. Do you find the quality of leather and construction to be far superior? It looks great, but it is a hefty tag for a pair of loafers. Or is it just prestige? Very keen on trying it out in Paris.

I'm a big fan of the JM Weston 180 loafer. I've also owned a lot of CJ, Lobb, EG, etc. The construction, quality of leather and style is superb and cost less than comperable Lobb or EG's. IMO, their look is just more smart/contemporary than CJ which tends to be a bit more traditional although in general great shoes. A huge selling point is that the last of the 180 model fits me perfectly. Of any shoe brand or model, that should be your deciding factor - fit/comfort right out of the box. (How many times have we heard from shoe salesmen, "Oh it will stretch/break-in"?) Buy them while in Paris, get a VAT refund at the airport for a better value. The US dollar is strong so a good time to buy. There is a JM Weston thread here on Styleforum. The 180's tend to run larger. But different models fit differently in Westons. They also sell Westons on Mr Porter so you can compare pricing. The Mister Porter sizing guidelines are spot-on, but note that the sizes listed are UK sizing and not US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics