• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoetrees

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the Lobb thread someone mentioned that you are supposed to leave cedar shoetrees in for 3 days max, because it will dry the moisture in the shoe. Is this true? I have cedar shoetrees from BB and leave them in my shoes when not in use. Should I only put them on the shoes after wearing them and take them out after 2-3 days?

Jon.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on where you live, is what I've heard. In a humid environment, it is recommended you leave the trees in. In a dry area, I've heard you might consider taking them out. Laquered wood would obviously not cause any of the drying concerns that cedar does.

Personally, I don't see how cedar could suck moisture out of the leather itself. Seems like it just sucks the moisture out of the surface of the leather that your feet has deposited there.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been keeping Woodlore cedar trees in all my better shoes continuously for several years with no discernible ill effects, but I would be receptive to any rational arguments why I should not do so.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like malarky to me....

I've never heard such a thing. As compared to the air in one's closet (assuming no shoe trees and 50% humidity), why would shoe trees actually speed up the drying of leather? I'm just trying to think through how such a thing would be possible.

My father has shoes dating to the late 1960s in his closet that he still wears. He has stored them with shoe trees in every single pair when not in use for as long as I can remember. I don't know if they are cedar, but ... hey, whatever. Why would Woodlore, etc. sell cedar shoes trees if it's going to ruin shoes. Doesn't make sense IMO.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like malarky to me....

I've never heard such a thing.  As compared to the air in one's closet (assuming no shoe trees and 50% humidity), why would shoe trees actually speed up the drying of leather?  I'm just trying to think through how such a thing would be possible.
Capillary action.

I've heard this, and thought this, but seriously. The humidity in the wood is not going to be much less than that of the air. I rotate trees as I don't have enough of them.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I put trees in all my shoes all the time, and I think the moisture absorption is continuous.  It must work, because all my shoes look good as new, even the ones from several years ago.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chalk up another "vote" for trees in all the time. But I reside in one of the previously mentioned humid environments, so any concern about over drying would be moot.

mussel

Reaction score
This is the nth times I read about not to leave cedar shoe trees in all the time. It has some merits.

Yes, the absorption is continuous. But it's not like the trees will suck all moisture out of the leather. It all depends on where you live and time of the year. Northeastern & Midwestern winters have very low humidity, especially with the indoor heat. so I think it's a good idea not to leave them in all the time. I left them in a pair of Allen Edmonds for about a month one winter, and I noticed the upper and the soles were noticeably drier and stiffer. I restored them by conditioning them and put them in a steamy bathroom for about an hour. If you live in the South, I guess it's not big deal to leave them in all the time.

The most crucial moment is when you take off your shoes, you must insert the trees immediately. After all the excess mositure is gone and shape retained, you can take out the shoe trees.

wja

Reaction score
The most crucial moment is when you take off your shoes, you must insert the trees immediately. After all the excess mositure is gone and shape retained, you can take out the shoe trees.
I have just pulled out a little folder which came with my Alden Cordovan shoes. Among other things it says:"It is best to let shoes cool down after wearing before inserting shoe trees."
eh.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to see what the Vass book has to say about this when I get home. BTW, I just ordered 4 more pairs of Woodlore cedar shoe trees from "Clothing Broker" on Ebay -- $14.95 each. Thanks for the reminder.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since I live in South Florida and its ALWAYS humid, I think I will leave the shoetrees in whilst the shoes are in stowage. Actually, I have more shoetrees than shoes, because BB had a sale and I bought several extra pairs in case I needed them for future shoe purchases, alas no other shoes have been purchased...yet.

Jon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is not if you must put tree all the time you do not wear your shoes = OBVIOUSLY the reply is YES

The question is if Cedar should be exchanged against a simple wooden tree after a few days.

boston

Reaction score
I think having shoe trees in shoes all the time is overkill.

I put cedar shoe trees in my shoes when I take them off. I take them out the next day when I need to put them in a new pair of shoes. Thus, I only have one pair of shoe trees that I rotate between shoes. I've done this for a decade, and my shoes are fine.

That said, I think if you leave your shoe trees in shoes all the time it's fine too. The most important thing is to rotate what you wear, put the tree in after use, and shine/condition regularly.

-boston

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads