1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alchimiste, Mar 27, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

I want to buy a pair of plain toe brown shoes. I have seen some by To boot NY, Gravati or AE.
    1) Does anybody know of To boot New York?
    1) Gravati is about 50 % more expensive then AE. Worth it?

Mathieu, freezing in California

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

In my opinion, absolutely. Recently became acquainted with Gravati and am impressed with the high level of materials and workmanship. As much as I want to prefer the American-made product, Gravati is in a different league.

3. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

As far as I know, To Boot contracts with a number of different Italian manufacturers to produce shoes at a number of different price points. Some are good, some are not. You have to take them on a shoe-by-shoe basis.

Gravati uses better materials than does AE, and they pay a lot more attention to detail than does AE. The thing about Gravati, though is that they are more than happy to let buyers do almost anything they want. Gravati has an absurd number of patterns, a large number of lasts, a huge number of leathers, and a virtually infinite number of sole and other details available. It's up to the individual buyers to put all of these options together into an attractive line of shoes, and some just don't do a good job. The Gravati offerings at Bergdorf Goodman come to mind -- nothing truly awful, but only one or two shoes that I'd actually want. Others do a wonderful job -- two that come to mind are Ron Rider at Franco's and Jim Pierce at Harold's in the Heights.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I think that Gravati quality is excellent but that the taste of the shoes produced will vary from store to store and buyer to buyer.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

To Boot are generally too expensive for what you get. By which I mean, at a comparable price, you can almost always find a better-made shoe. And the styling is too fashion-forward for me.

There was a long stretch when To Boot were the only shoes that Bergdorf carried. At least it seemed that way. Happily, those days are over.

5. jcusey

To Boot is Adam Derrick's vehicle, and Adam Derrick owns the shoe concession at Bergdorf Goodman. Even today, most of the shoes at BG will have To Boot on the label, as in "Gravati for To Boot" or "Silvano Lattanzi for To Boot." But carrying only To Boot shoes? Uggh. The best ones that I've seen have been decently-made but not quite up to Gravati standards.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Hmmm. I have not noticed his name (or brand name) in the Lattanzis. Not that I examine them all that much in any case. There's no way Lobb would let him do that. Is there? I think Bergdorf also now has Church's, and I don't remember seeing the To Boot name in those either.

7. jcusey

I've seen the To Boot name in at least one of the high-end Italian brands that BG carries. I think that it was Lattanzi, but it could have been Sutor Mantellassi as well. The Lobb Paris shoes have the standard Lobb label (or rather, the standard Lobb Paris embossing in the heel). I can't speak to the Church's shoes because I didn't bother to pick them up.

8. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

What about Faconnable's shoes?

9. jcusey

I've never seen them, and I don't know who manufactures them.

Country of origin? Price point? Pictures?

10. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

I saw another pair of shoe of interest this morning. It is made by Lorenzo Banfi. Does anybody have had an experience with this make?

Mathieu

11. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

I have seen them at Marshalls, but never thought them to be high end. Picked up a pair of brown leather 'made in italy' sandals from Marshalls by LB for $20.

12. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

Those I have seen were brown, closed-lacing, plain toe shoes around US$450. Definitly not sandals.