Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by youngteam, Oct 11, 2004.

1. youngteam

youngteam Member

If I could, I'd probably wear shorts and flip-flops every day, but it's getting chilly here in the Bay Area and so I have to wear actual clothes. Â What sort of shoes do you like when you're wearing jeans and you don't want to be TOO casual -- i.e., sneakers? Â Typically I'll just wear some sort of black Kenneth Cole oxfords but that's getting a bit old. Â I was thinking of picking up these: [​IMG] I'm confident you guys can suggest plenty of alternatives. Â (I definitely prefer lace-ups to loafers, and I'd probably pick tire scraps tied to my feet over tassled loafers.)

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Oh no. No no no no no.

Go get yourself a pair of Clark Desert boots. I personally like the original style in waxed leather, but the Wallabee shape seems to be popular these days. But those KC Reaction shoes? No no no no no.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I agree with LA Guy, definitely not those. Some chukkas or chelsea boots may be good.

4. christian

christian Senior member

I don't see what's wrong with the shoes. Is it the quality, or the style that everybody dislikes about these shoes?

5. SS1088

SS1088 Member

I think they look good for casual shoes. I have a pair of AE mapetons and eccos that i wear with jeans.

6. SFclassic

SFclassic Member

I have a pair of black Cole Haan slip-ons made on a Nike last that are extremely comfortable. They are black leather, no frills, and I often get compliments on them. I usually wear them with jeans, but they're certainly a step up from sneakers.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Way too clunky. And not clunky in a good way. If you want clunky in a good way, try Nike Air Forces or Dunks or Vandals. The quality of these shoes will suck pretty badly as well. Don't be one of those guys who wear these with jeans or chinos and a striped shirt to a club. Please.

8. demo5

demo5 Senior member

Try Tods Lug Sole loafers... they are the driving loafers with the thick rubber vibram sole... I typically wear them sans socks, but they can even double as dress shoes when traveling and you don't have a lot of room. There are a number of pairs on ebay now. And, just so you're careful, Tods typically run 1/2 to a full size larger than normal. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....66&rd=1

9. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

Because this message is a little off topic, I will start by assuring youngteam that he is getting excellent advice from the forum members. I am not a Howard Stern listener and did not know that he had popularized the term Jumping The Shark. If by that he means a trend that has become eye-rollingly passe, however, he's misusing it. Jumping The Shark comes from the waning episodes of Happy Days when the show had overstayed its welcome by a couple of years and its ratings were down with those of the farm report. The producers were increasingly on the ropes for both viewers and stories and contrived a plot where The Fonz, for forgotten reasons, has to water ski over a shark tank Evel Knievel style. (He makes it, if you can't stand the suspense.) Hence, Jumping The Shark refers to an absurdly desperate act to redeem the unredeemable. If Kenneth Cole were to put osprey feathers, say, or zircon idols on those shoes in an effort to improve them, he'd be jumping the shark.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Now that is funny (partly because your response was so predictable).

I second it, in any case. Those shoes are awful.. get something a little less ... how shall I say it, all-American jackass?

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

CTGuy, may I take this opportunity to inform you that your avatar scares me? What is it? I searched the internet on the subject of medusa reliefs but could not find that exact piece.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It looks to be a Louis XIV motif. The Sun King had many such symbols on his gates, and such. Apollo perhaps.

13. youngteam

youngteam Member

Brutal honesty = thumbs up.

In matters of style and taste, it's natural that there are going to be differences of opinion. In the short time I've been coming here since I first heard heard about it in the Times article, I've already learned a lot of useful information. I, for one, appreciate everyone's candor.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

More brutal honesty, those KC shoes are really ugly. I second LA Guy, get some chelsea or chukka boots. Can't go wrong with those.

15. aramg

aramg Member

Is it some Versace logo look-alike?