Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes: Your most complimented pair of shoes (that youre not afraid to wear regularly)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Nov 26, 2010.

1. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

RLPL Grants and EG Southwold specs

[​IMG]

Glad to see that someone finally added a shoe that is not like everyone else's and is unique. I don't dress up too often anymore but when I did, I worked on a shoe floor and always received compliments on my unique shoes, like the one in my avatar, my teal cap toes, or my red wing tips with white piping. I know that these are not so liked on SF because many of you are traditionalists but they are definitely eye catching and if I am not taking negative eye stares I am getting lots of good compliments. On the streets though, I would have to say that the most compliments I probably ever received was on my Allen Edmonds "Dryden" in cognac. Great shoe, still own and still love it!

Revolving - my AE dryden seems to correlate with your theory about brogues and cognac colored shoes. While it is not a full nor even partial brogue, there is a perforated cap and medallion and it is that rich eye-catching cognac color. Great against a nice pair of dark denim.

2. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

Yes, definitely - Belgians get the most attention and commentary - they seem to elicit curiosity and offense...which of course is one of my most beloved qualities in a shoe

3. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Women like me multi colored (four colors) custom spectator shoe the most.
    Men like the single monks, tan longwings, and Vass F last oxfords or wholecuts.
    People go out of way to say they hate me big vass budapesters,
    everyone hate those shoe. [​IMG]

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Handmadeshoes, I think I'd like contrast piping on a pair of more casual shoes..... Yes, the top collective answer of the day seems to be: Cognac, walnut, chestnut with some brogue (captoe, longwing, wingtip, etc) even better if you can addsome texture like pebblegrain. (As per the Cheaney boots) Are yours like this? [​IMG]

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Chestnut vs. Walnut vs. Cognac. Cognac = lightest/yellowish? [​IMG] Walnut? [​IMG] Chestnut = darkest? [​IMG] I am seeing conflicting color descriptions. In the picture below, which 3 shoes represents the above 3 colors? (#1 = far left) [​IMG]

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Yet again, misses the forest for the trees. Truly astounding.
    Stop trying to cover up your ignorance by pretending you meant something else. You said "yet again...longwings...will get you compliments", while quoting an image of a shoe. What possible reason could you have for that sentence other than thinking that the shoe is a long-wing? And I mean...if you can't tell what are khakis and what aren't, then it's not so hard to believe that you can't tell the difference between a long-wing and a wing-tip.

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Is too.
    Is not.
    Is too.
    Is not.
    Is too ... an ... and ... I ... I'm going to tell on your Mom!

8. entrero

entrero Senior member

For the sake of clarity, Sanguis is right. Can we agree and just call them "brogue shoes".

9. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

I think *different* is a possible key.

I have a pair of of black Polo boots that have red stripes on them. Benchgrade made in England. Bought them off streetware buy/sell on SF. Never seen anything like 'em anywhere else.

I get compliments and questions every time I wear them. I got asked by 3 different sales people in Barneys on the same day what they were. I've been asked if they are Gucci and I am amused to say, "No, Polo".

10. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

What possible reason could you have for that sentence other than thinking that the shoe is a long-wing?.
    McFly, it's that I don't care to differentiate b/w a longwing and a wingtip in the context of this thread. Do you even understand the point of this thread, you halfwit? It's to determine what shoes normal people respond to. In real life, the two are functionally the same.... Normal people don't see or care about the difference b/w longwings and wingtips, and certainly not when your pants cover part of the shoe, and both people are standing upright and/or walking. Now, please take your pedantic OCD insanity (and your sailor outfit) elsewhere. You are adding NOTHING to this thread.

11. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

McFly, it's that I don't care to differentiate b/w a longwing and a wingtip in the context of this thread. Do you even understand the point of this thread? It's to determine what shoes normal people respond to. In real life, the two are functionally the same.... Normal people don't see or care about the difference b/w longwings and wingtips, and certainly not when you pants cover part of the shoe, and both people are standing and/or walking.

Can you just admit that you're wrong for once? I think that's why people on this board can't stand you, you're unwilling to learn.

12. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

Women like me multi colored (four colors) custom spectator shoe the most.
    Men like the single monks, tan longwings, and Vass F last oxfords or wholecuts.
    People go out of way to say they hate me big vass budapesters,
    everyone hate those shoe. [​IMG]

Love the Vash B'pester! [​IMG]

13. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Chestnut vs. Walnut vs. Cognac.

Cognac = lightest/yellowish?

Walnut?

Chestnut = darkest?

I am seeing conflicting color descriptions.
    In the picture below, which 3 shoes represents the above 3 colors?
    (#1 = far left)

McFly, it's that I don't care to differentiate b/w a longwing and a wingtip in the context of this thread. Do you even understand the point of this thread, you halfwit? It's to determine what shoes normal people respond to. In real life, the two are functionally the same.... Normal people don't see or care about the difference b/w longwings and wingtips, and certainly not when your pants cover part of the shoe, and both people are standing upright and/or walking. Now, please take your pedantic OCD insanity elsewhere. You are adding NOTHING to this thread.

[​IMG]

14. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Can you just admit that you're wrong for once? I think that's why people on this board can't stand you, you're unwilling to learn.
    Longwing, the brogue continues in a straight line to the heel. Wingtip, the brogue curves down at the arch. You people are pathetic.

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Longwing, the brogue continues in a straight line to the heel. Wingtip, the brogue curves down at the arch.
    Well, at least you learned something from this thread. [​IMG]