1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes: Your most complimented pair of shoes (that youre not afraid to wear regularly)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior member

Looks like we have a lot of little insecure people here. I make one comment about how only the lower orders and middle classes are the ones who would comment on what a person is wearing and I'm attacked even for things I never said.

"I find it funny how some people on this forum imagine some fairy-tale upper-echelon of high-society where nobody swears and"

That's not relevant to what I said, and I would certainly know that better than you.

Monkey writes, "He doesn't hang around with those kinds of people. He just imagines that he should. It's misguided aspirationalism masquerading as social knowledge' blah blah blah

And you would know that? It sounds like you're just projecting your own insecurities onto me.
    It must have been difficult for a working class kid like you whose mama taught him nice manners to have to deal with us lol
    However, that's also irrelevant because my comment was about people making comments on what someone else is wearing, not their manners. Learn how to read and stop with all of the stupid projecting.

"The women (mostly women) have told me several times they like that someone they know really tries'

You're trying too hard, the sure sign of a prole. And why would you care what some dingbat female's opinion is?

Well, thank you all anyway for participating as guinea pigs in one of my little psychological studies.I'd like to say I learnrt something but you're all drearily predictable.

2. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

I was told that my Church monkstraps were 'adorable.' :puzzled:

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Do you think they are noticing the monk strap, or is that covered by the pant when they see it?
    If that is the case, they seem to be complimenting the squared off toe? (Or are brogues just that rare in your parts?)

Wow, love these. I might need to pick up a pair.
    I don't see them on the BB site.
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523

It's because you're a pretentious douchebag. FlyingMonkey nailed it, you delusional tool. People compliment clothing all the time, in the real world. Now, go back to your Edith Wharton novels.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Do us a favour mate and...

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior member

Only the lower classes who have nothing to do and can't talk about real topics.

6. meister

meister Senior member

Tragic ....but that is what you see all over Sydney = bicycle toe shoes.

7. hst

hst Senior member

Good to hear that. I worn the same shoes yesterday, and didn't receive any compliments at all :(

8. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Clearly Sf is not a place for you then. There is much posting & discussion, as well as personal insight on footwear here. I suggest you search for a more "high-brow" forum to post (or not?).

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Only marroquians compliment others on their clothes. :bigstar:

10. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

I've only recently learned much about shoes in detail from the learned gentlemen who post here. Before that I just bought " correct" shoes from my menswear stores, prices of which more or less matched up with what I dropped on a suit, I.e. Zegna suit/Ferragamo or AE shoes, relying on guidance from a SA with whom I have a long standing relationship.

As for compliments, unless you run with SAs of SF types, most people don't know what you have on your feet other than a vague subjective notion of quality or style. That being said, when I do get compliments on my shoes, I've noticed that sleeker lasts, unusual colors or details are what gets noticed. My Ferragamo Novaxys get noticed (I love them), burgundy AE Sanfords and monks get compliments often. My AE PAs, Leeds and Byrons do not. Sole saleman definitely notice what ya got on, other than that, not many will care/comment. Just my experience.

11. isshinryu101

Quite a few ladies have complimented my Spectators...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a few nice comments from the guys on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  12. isshinryu101

At the family reunion, these were a conversation topic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

^ With the exception of the blucher gunboats all those shoes scream "look at me!" and are kind of ugly. Not a fan...

14. althanis

althanis Senior member

Wow, we got some pretty fugly shoes in the last few comments.

If boots count: I've gotten about 5 compliments on my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots since I started wearing them a few weeks ago.

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

remember guys, complements, not just comments...

16. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Alden 911. Nearly every time I wear them, someone says "nice shoes." Put a light mirror shine on the toe. I'll see if I can get reasonable pics sometime soon, but until then:

[​IMG]

Image lifted straight from ben silver.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

they have also broken a few necks

18. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Namor, are those shell? Damn nice boots. Deets?

19. meister

meister Senior member

It's because the eyes have it LOL!

Oh to be a shrinking violet.

20. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I would wear these with a pair of jeans and a sport coat in a heartbeat.