Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

shoes with tux

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoes22, Jun 6, 2006.

1. shoes22

shoes22 Well-Known Member

any reccomendations on shoes to wear with a tux? i was thinking about the black barker black loafers with no socks.

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

[​IMG] Plain black socks and patent leather shoes that lace up. Please don't attempt to look like Thom Browne in black tie. Think about the children!

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

please do wear black socks when wearing a tux.
    a plain toe black balmoral shoe will do just as well.

4. Dapper Dandy

Dapper Dandy Senior member

I can't agree with the loafer decision- black balmorals, black patent leather or black opera slippers/pumps (my preferred shoe). In terms of hosiery, I highly recommend black silk OTC socks, though I have no idea of a good place to get some.

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Just about any place sells them, such as Jos A. Bank, Brooks Brothers, Charles Tyrwhitt, etc.

6. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I'd wear some red socks and a matching pocket square
    [​IMG]

7. saint

saint Senior member

I used to have some J&M opera pumps that fell apart one rainy night, since then I've used my black EG wholecuts, no broguing so they look quite elegant with evening wear.

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

[​IMG]

Plain black socks and patent leather shoes that lace up. Please don't attempt to look like Thom Browne in black tie. Think about the children!

Patent leather? Haven't you read an issue of GQ in the past three years? [​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Both patent and calfskin pumps are appropriate although some like the calfskin version.

10. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

......2:

Black Patent leather dancing pumps with ribbed silk bows are the most traditional. Formal shoes can also be shined leather or velvet. Velvet pumps are most appropriate when you are hosting a formal evening at home!

Oxfords (lace up) are fine, especially in an emergency. If you're going to wear oxfords, the best choice would be a plain toe or cap toe. Nothing that would resemble daily work shoes!!! No wing tips or loafers, or any other style that might be considered business shoes. The oxford shoe can be shined as you would any dressy shoe.

The word pump may have come from either the word "pomp", or "pump" (from the application of a foot brake by the coachmen that wore this shoe style). Pumps date from the 16th century and are the oldest part of evening dress. Originally they were worn with knee breeches and silk stockings.

Patent leather is from New Jersey by way of France. The art of varnishing woods and metals was used on leather in the early 1800's in France for pumps, which were all the rage then. In 1922 Seth Boyden of Newark, New Jersey developed leather based on the European method and applied for a "patent" for the process.

Socks of fine fabric, black, over the calf.

Andy

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I used to have some J&M opera pumps that fell apart one rainy night, since then I've used my black EG wholecuts, no broguing so they look quite elegant with evening wear.
    Hmm... what would you think of patent wholecuts?

12. sammy

sammy Senior member

I'd wear some red socks and a matching pocket square
    [​IMG]

Good Call! Very Dandified!

13. TCN

TCN Senior member

Hmm... what would you think of patent wholecuts?

Pass, but better than loafers and no socks.

14. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I like the red socks-idea. May have to try it next time...

Do not wear loafers, please. And do not go sockless. Black bals at a minimum, well-shined.

I am not myself willing to wear pumps, whatever tradition dictates, so I have a pair of black patent leather cap-toes.

15. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Burgundy socks (like those in the illustration) will be easier to do than scarlet. Bottle green or purple, too. But while black is the safe choice, it is still a great one. The sheen of silk hose projects itself with quiet elegance.

I wear calf pumps. A plain-toe oxford (but not a wholecut) with a thin sole and thick silk laces would be lovely, too. Patent works better for these than pumps, in my opinion.

You can also try velvet (or suede) slippers, though they are not strictly correct, few care that much these days.