• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes with Suit or Trousers

kojnglsmith

Reaction score
I've tried searching around but couldn't find a thread that quite answered my question.

I already own a pair of black Park Avenues and need to buy a second pair of shoes now.
I'm looking for something dark brown/burgundy that can be had for about $200 (used if necessary)

If I had the money I'd buy a pair of dark brown balmorals to wear with suits and another pair of brown bluchers to wear with trousers, but I can only afford one pair right now, so the question is: which would be more versatile? Would it be better to get the bluchers (and wear them with a suit occasionally) or the balmorals (and dress them down with dress trousers occasionally)?

And what shoes would you suggest keeping in mind the rough price range?

kojnglsmith

Reaction score
What I mean is: I will be wearing a suit some days and dress trousers without a jacket on others (beyond my control). Would it be better to get balmorals or bluchers? Suggestions of specific models would be much appreciated as well

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kojnglsmith
What I mean is: I will be wearing a suit some days and dress trousers without a jacket on others (beyond my control). Would it be better to get balmorals or bluchers? Suggestions of specific models would be much appreciated as well

The difference is quite subtle and most people won't know the difference if they see it. I'd just get a pair that's dissimilar from what you've already got for variety's sake.

Not in your price range, but something like http://www.theshoemart.com/allen-edm..._m_delray.html would be a nice deviation from what you've got.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monkstrap. Burgundy or cordo-#8.

kojnglsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Monkstrap. Burgundy or cordo-#8.

Thanks for the reply but monkstraps are pretty much out of the question..the shoes are for an internship this summer and monkstraps would be a bit too noticeable (and not in the good way for a 21 year old kid to be wearing)

saiyar1

Reaction score
You're not a woman. Two brown shoes at once? Just get a basic brown that isn't too fancy that's, like you said, versatile.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bal with some brogueing such as the AE McAllister or Strand would be a decent choice.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kojnglsmith
Thanks for the reply but monkstraps are pretty much out of the question..the shoes are for an internship this summer and monkstraps would be a bit too noticeable (and not in the good way for a 21 year old kid to be wearing)
Too bad. Then derbies in the same color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads