• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes with soft insoles for walking to work

changy

Reaction score
I walk 20mins to work each way and on colder days it kills my knees and ankles. Does any one have experience with decent looking shoes with either soft insoles or room for orthopedic insoles? Thought I would ask around here first before resorting to Cole Haan X Nike

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see many people in my office change into walking shoes when they go home. In a suit it looks funny, but I would check Alden's orthopedic line. Aldens in general are incredibly comfortable shoes.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
perhaps consider double soles as well? seems counterintuitive, but the extra leather absorbs the shock...

rabidawg

Reaction score

Matt S

Reaction score
Get some special insoles made for you and bring them with you to try on when you buy your shoes. You may need to go up half a size in length, and maybe width too. You don't need to resort to junk like Cole Haan. I find that a big part of the comfort is in the shape of the insole, not in the material. Orthopaedic insoles made for you will definitely make a big difference, probably more than buying cheap dress shoes constructed like trainers.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The appearance of the soles of shoes is overrated- no one except for shoe nuts will notice if you have rubber, or more ergonomic-shaped soles on your dress shoes.. and hey, even if they do, it's not an ostentatious faux paux like a full windsor on a narrow-spread collar or someth'n, it actually just makes you look like a more down-to-earth and practical. My Allen Edmonds have rubber soles and I think they look great, plus they don't clap on hard surfaces like cowboy boots

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 84 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 80 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 42 8.5%