• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes with shorts

jst

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some ideas of what other people wear with shorts. I always end up wearing sandals to these casual summertime events because I just don't seem to think any shoes look nice with shorts, I'm of course talking a chino-type shorts, not gym shorts. I'd like to hear others opinions.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're wearing a button-down or polo shirt, I think a pair of tan suede bucks with red rubber soles (sockless of course) is a good look.  Boat shoes and moccasins sans socks look good as well.

If the shirt is more casual (T-shirt for example), I like the Adidas Samba sneaker with short white socks.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how people wear shoes w/o socks. Ya it looks good, but by the end of the summer (if even that long) you'll have to throw them out cause they reek. I'd wear sandals w/o socks cause they're open, but nothing else.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"I honestly don't know how people wear shoes w/o socks."

You can buy "socklets", i.e. cotton socks which cover the sole and are held with elastic round the sides, but have so much material cut away that they don't show outside the shoe. They must be available in the US. If you can't find them try in women's hosery and get the biggest size.

parsonsdb

Reaction score
Hey guys well, saddle up and hop on the bandwagon. Here goes my sense or lack there of take it or leave it.
When I go in shorts, all summer so far, (lucky me) I wear docksiders I know there was some lack of support in this area a while back. Not just leather also canvas. I wear Sperry lace-ups. Which are essentially old skool tennis shoes. I will also wear my flops, but my feet/hips don't like this too much. My left leg is longer than my right, so that plus flops equal PAIN. I know it may sound real stupid but if your hips hurt on the side every once and while get the orthopedic to give them a look over.
I know that my look is very southern/preppy. Take it how you want.
I do have one question at AC.
 "I think a pair of tan suede bucks with red rubber soles"  
I have always been told that these are: "wintertime", fall, football homecoming type shoes. Is this a facade?  1950s type clichÃ
00a9.png
like ladies wearing white shoes after Labor day and before Memorial day?
Parsonsdb

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have one question at AC.
 "I think a pair of tan suede bucks with red rubber soles"  
I have always been told that these are: "wintertime", fall, football homecoming type shoes. Is this a facade?  1950s type clichÃ
00a9.png
like ladies wearing white shoes after Labor day and before Memorial day?
parsonsdb:

I think you're right.  White bucks in the summer, tan bucks the rest of the year.  I have never liked white bucks because they get dirty so easily, however.  As a result, I believe that the bucks "rule" -- like the rule that a gin and tonic is exclusively a summer drink -- is a rule that can, and should, be broken.

Joe G

Reaction score
I think American men are the only in the world to wear shorts past teenagerhood when not in a resort area. Why exactly? They're not as elegant as long trousers, and not as cooling, either. Anyone who's been in real heat without A/C knows that the best way to stay cool is actually to wear long sleeve linen or cotton shirts and wool or linen trousers. Or cotton/linen gowns, as Bedouin herders and some Latin-American men do. Peace, JG

Michael

Reaction score
and wool or linen trousers.
I was always under the impression that wool was on the exact opposite end of the spectrum than linen for cool fabric. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I typically either wear sandals or my k-swiss classics. I also have a pair of Johnston & Murphy Baytown loafers which are a tan leather loafer with a kilty and tassel. They are great without socks and with a pair of shorts - casual but a little nicer than sandals or tennis shoes. Living in resort area, Phoenix, you can get away with shorts on almost any occasion. Plus when its 108 degrees during the day and still 102 at 10:00 p.m. who's going to complain Â
smile.gif

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael: Yes and no. Wool can be some of the warmest stuff our there or some of the coolest. Some of those more knowledgable can correct me on the terms, but I believe tropical weight is one of the lighest fabrics you can wear. I live in the tropics -- in the Caribbean -- and find tropical wool weight trousers to be like wearing air.

It breathes like cotton could only dream about.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael: Yes and no. Wool can be some of the warmest stuff our there or some of the coolest. Some of those more knowledgable can correct me on the terms, but I believe tropical weight is one of the lighest fabrics you can wear. I live in the tropics -- in the Caribbean -- and find tropical wool weight trousers to be like wearing air.

It breathes like cotton could only dream about.

salavanti

Reaction score
try these .......mephisto brown or tan all rounder....with short tan socks.....I wear addidas short sox

Sal

schrag

Reaction score
Boat shoes, low-top sneakers (pref. canvas), maybe desert boots if feeling a bit adventurous. Barefoot or with no-show socks (probably necessary for the last two choices). I dig navy boat shoes to wear with khaki or coloured trousers/pants. More of a summery palette than some of the darker brown or tan versions popular with the older crowd.

I have tan bucks with red brick soles, but can't imagine wearing them with shorts.

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some ideas of what other people wear with shorts. I always end up wearing sandals to these casual summertime events because I just don't seem to think any shoes look nice with shorts, I'm of course talking a chino-type shorts, not gym shorts. I'd like to hear others opinions.
Boat shoes (paraboot, sebago, sperry)
Espadrilles

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads