1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes with NO socks ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hermesman69, Apr 24, 2013.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Pretty much agree with this, and it's the reason I wear my loafers only with casual suits (i.e., poplin and linen).

2. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

This is a bizarre statement. If I saw somebody wearing chinos and sockless, I would instantly assume they were American. .

Boat shoes are the only shoes I ever wear without socks. Anything else I find uncomfortable and incongruous. Those AAAC trad guys who wear Alden PTBs and no socks are masochists.

3. Shane 101

Shane 101 Member

Is it fashionable not to wear socks with dress shoes?
    If so what are the do's and don't please!

4. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Don't - unless you are a billionaire italian industrialist with shapely tanned ankles and a heroin habit which people have come to accept as individualist chic.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Maybe not even then.

6. Sir Royston

Sir Royston Well-Known Member

The only time I would wear shoes without socks is if i was on the beach.. in shorts.. You will not find me at any time with long trousers without socks

7. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Even worse - Shane is asking about "dress shoes". I've got a horrible mental image of black cap toe oxfords.

8. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Of course you can go "no socks" with loafers in the summer, in any casual setting. At the office is a different story.

Even with a sportcoat, perferctly fine. If you don't have the body for it, or have a stodgy personality, then don't.

I don't even understand the "funk up your shoes" line... What do you guys have growing on your feet?

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1. Not sure I'd attempt this look when wearing a tie, but odd jacket and no tie, sure.

1 person likes this.
  10. calcoast

calcoast Well-Known Member

I never wear socks with my loafers. If I do wear socks with my boat shoes they're never the white cotton kind.

Wearing no socks with a blazer/sp just doesnt look right to me.

1 person likes this.
  11. Shane 101

Shane 101 Member

Was thinking more along the lines of brown double monks..but by the reaction here I'll take that as a big no!

12. tommygoodkin

tommygoodkin Well-Known Member

dying