1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoes with NO socks ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hermesman69, Apr 24, 2013.

1. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member

I was wondering what peoples view is on wearing shoes without socks. Obviously it depends on the entire outfit too but say for example a Navy sportcoat/casual blazer with sand chinos and Navy or dark brown suede casual shoes??
    The Chinos are tapered and slim fit and don't end like regular trousers/jeans, instead they are like elasticated type cuff around the ankles.
    What do you think?

2. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I was with you up to here.

3. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member

4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

If you're wearing drop crotch pants with elastic cuffs, then all rules are null and void. Wear whatever you want on your feet.

3 people like this.
  5. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member

Really?
    I thought with the small possibility of the ankle slightly exposed shoes may not be a good option but thanks.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

If you're wearing a blazer and not wearing socks... well.... you've lost me.

7. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member

It's a casual blazer more like a sport coat

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

My impression would be the same - I just don't see the sockless look with any kind of blazer or sports coat. It just does not work for me. At all.

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

It's an orphaned suit jacket.

10. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member

It's too casual in that it'll look better with chinos or jeans rather than trainers.
    With it being Navy I thought it would match better with the sand colour chinos as most of my jeans/chinos are in darker colours

11. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

my view is that shoes sans socks is the dumbest fashion trend in the history of dumb fashion trends. first, I don't want to see a guy's disgusting leg hair poking out of his pants and second, who in their right mind would intentionally funk up a perfectly nice pair of shoes with their disgusting feet? pass

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Pretty common New England prep look.

You know, came in from a day of sailing, threw on the sport coat for dinner at the yacht club

13. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member

I'm in the UK and over here it's a crime to wear chinos with socks.
    Basically if you wear chinos you can't wear socks with them ( no matter what footwear) lol

14. SharplyTailored

SharplyTailored Senior member

I think that wearing chinos without socks (something I wouldn't do myself) requires a decent tan, and it's rare enough here in the UK that we can actually get enough sun to acquire one that doesn't come from a sunbed or bottle. Then again, I'm from Manchester, where summer is our favourite day of the year.

15. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member

Thank god I thought I was probably the only Brit on this site, it's good to know your only around the corner.

16. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

+1. On top of that it feels damn uncomfortable too.

17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

sounds like you have some personal problems you need to work out.

first, some people don't have "disgusting" feet. And now leg hair is disgusting? I'm assuming then that you wear pants 100% of the time, including at the pool, the gym, the basketball court, the beach, etc.

Further, some people can afford to "funk up" $1,000 shoes if they see fit. what business is that of yours. Some don't see shoes as something to be coddled. Not to mention the proliferation of loafer socks that prevent said "funking up".

1 person likes this.
  18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

That's doesn't make me like it any better.

19. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Nothing wrong with wearing shoes without socks. I wouldn't go sockless to the office, but am fine with the sockless look in any context where I can wear loafers during the summer.

+1.

20. hermesman69

hermesman69 Member