• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes with khakis, chinos

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that tropical summer is here, my business wardrobe consists primarily of a short sleeve sport shirt worn untucked, and khakis/chinos. This is all about function and little about form. I have a devil of a time, though, finding the right shoes to wear with khakis. I hate loafers with khakis. What I have is: rust colored Moreschi suede lace-ups with crepe sole, brown Camper sneakers for casual Fridays, burgundy Monk straps from Ferragamo, mahogany monks from Gucci and that's about it. I bought a pair of Espadrilles, but those are not for work, they won't hold up, although a pair of espadrilles, lightweight khakis and a sport shirt is a great way to deal with a nasty hot Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, any ideas for shoes to wear with khakis, other than loafers?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mid-brown bluchers? Dirty bucks?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often wear something similar to this from AE with my khakis:

Wilbert_display.gif

The picture is of the Wilbert model. The one I own is basically an older version with a different model name that I can't remember.

Also, you might want to look into the LL Bean blucher mocs or ranger mocs, both of which I think look good with khakis. You could try boat shoes, but they may not be your thing. Finally, I love the look of a camp moc, but that may be too much like a loafer for you.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have some boat shoes, from Ferragamo, and love them. But they are not really my thing for daily business wear. I can wear a double breasted suit or a polo and khakis, basically whatever the hell I want. Now that it is hot I dress down. Although the boat shoes I try to save for Fridays.

The Wilbert looks like an excellent choice for an in between shoe.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to get me some of C&J's unlined desert boots.

The Wilbert's a nice shoe, but it is _very_ casual, owing to the thick rubber sole. I use them as foul-weather shoes in the winter.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to a page with some Alden casual models that might also suit you. There are some loafers, and some of the lace ups are a bit "old mannish", but I particularly like the look of the handsewn chukka. The moc toe blucher is similar to the AE Wilbert.

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawShoes.asp?ParentID=4

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
I like those handsewn chukas as well as several other Alden models. Once I posted this model as an alternative in a similar thread and J threatened to ban me:

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=72

I love Alden generally, but those aren't my cup of tea. I'm not sure why, as I like the Bean blucher moc, which is similar.

I wouldn't ban you, though.
smile.gif

Leslierc

Reaction score
My choices would be penny-style loafers (which you say you don't like), suede bucks, or saddle-style shoes. By the way, Polo has a very nice buck and leather saddle shoe this year.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
These days, I find myself wearing the Sutor bluchers in caramel, that coincidentally I bought from VCH, with my chinos.

SantaCruzGuy

Reaction score
Here's my .02 cents worth:

For god sakes no boat shoes!
Just my personal opinion but I think it's a dreadful look to wear boat shoes in any working environment unless you're on a boat or you work at Club Med for a dive operator, esp. the pale blue ones which are far too casual & clumsy looking.

+1 for desert boots like Clarks.
+1 for dirty bucks.
+1 for saddle shoes of some sort.
The reason I think these are great choices is they have a rugged masculine element to them, which coexist very nicely with the rugged nature/heritage of khaki trousers. It's a good fit.
Think Indiana Jones
wink.gif

The Alden Indy boot would also look pretty sharp, thus in essence I think you've got some pretty good choices to choose from.

I think something with a lace will be your best bet.
I also think you asked a really good question.

I'd steer away from anything too dressy such as a shoe with a captoe.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads