• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes with high arch support

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brands have high arch support? I've been having some foot problems lately (pain under the ball of my big toe) and attributed it to the fact that some of my shoes have very narrow toeboxes. However, I think it is due more to the fact that none of my shoes have great arch support.

I wear something between a 10D and 10E. However, I have a pair of AE Moras that are a 10E and they are really big on my feet; I get a lot of heel slippage. But every now and then, I still get the same problem.

Are there any shoes that are made with good arch support? Nothing too crazy, or do I just have to buy foot inserts?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Start by getting your feet checked by a qualified podiatrist - what you're describing could be a bunion or bone spur.

If he suggests surgery, though, run (or limp) away.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vass

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have incredibly high arches. I've tried many dress shoes and none have significant arch support; it's just not something they think of.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
it's just not something they think of.

they think of, but they shoes are made to a certain standard, who meets the "average joe".

for a little amount, every decent cobbler should be able to make a shoe fit. it's not a big deal.

randomely as AC mentioned. Vass and other exponents of i.e. the austro-hungarian school, which is more dedicated to the human ergonomy, offer more arch support then their i.e. english counterparts.

just my two cents.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Vass

Hmmm nice. I've been wanting a pair of Vass, but can't fly to Hungary to try a pair on. What is their sizing like?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
What brands have high arch support? I've been having some foot problems lately (pain under the ball of my big toe) and attributed it to the fact that some of my shoes have very narrow toeboxes.

I know that you've been giving your foot a lot of thought, and I haven't, but you shouldn't make assumptions. There's a lot of stuff going on in the ball under your big toe joint - and if you let it persist it can become quite chronic/long-lasting. Go get it checked out and expect an x-ray.

presence

Reaction score
That absolutely best thing you can do for your feet is too purchase custom made orthotics. Your insurance might cover part of the cost. You can slip them into any of your shoes. Podiatrists recommend that you don't wear them all the time, so if you don' physically have them with you, it won't make a difference to your feet. They will be invaluable.
If you are looking for sneakers, then Ascis offer the best arch support.

Bostonian

Reaction score
Are you near a metropolitan area?

Find an Alden dealer and try shoes built on the modified last.

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho.htm

I have high flexible arches and had serious foot issues a couple of years ago...serious pain, a trip to podiatrist, orhtotics in all my shoes, etc...

To make a long story short, on a trip to NYC, I got fitted for the modified last. They're one of the few shoes that I don't need any inserts for. They're light, have tempered steel shanks, and feel like they were designed for my foot. I've been wearing them 5 days a week ever since.

Just out of curiosity, is you're second toe longer than your first? You may have what's classified as "Morton's Foot." That's the foot type I have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads