1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoes With Character

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbris1, Mar 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Tricker's Sloane, gorgeous grown man shoes according to the Ms. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

3. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Thanks. They are up for sale.

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

bb, how about a minimum 1 resole rule before a pair qualifies for this thread?

5. Avebury

Avebury Senior member

What is the colour - marron antique? The colour has developed very nicely.

6. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

bb, how about a minimum 1 resole rule before a pair qualifies for this thread?
    I don't know. Many of my shoes have developed a bunch of character and don't quite qualify for a resole yet.
    What is the colour - marron antique? The colour has developed very nicely.
    I believe so. The color/patina on these is awesome.

7. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I don't know. Many of my shoes have developed a bunch of character and don't quite qualify for a resole yet.

Perhaps, but others just look like new shoes I've worn around my living room for a few hours. [​IMG] Maybe it's the lighting or something. I don't think it's necessary for shoes to be a cracked and glazed mess like the PoW's Lobbs, but surely there must be some middle ground.

8. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Actually, in many cases those examples speak to the quality of the leather and proper shoe care. (some of) The ones that don't look beast to hell.

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Bris, I'm afraid your new avatar is not up to your usual high standard.[​IMG]

10. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Bris, I'm afraid your new avatar is not up to your usual high standard.[​IMG]
    Not according to the mass of PMs I've been getting [​IMG]

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

while holding up a private trunk show in vienna a few days ago, a friend of mine mentioned, that he owns a pair Mr. Kiss made for him in 1990.

today, i received some pics. admittedly, they need some tlc. on the other hand, they never saw a repair shop. that speaks imo for their quality.

[​IMG]

no need to say, that they have a lot of mileage taken in the two decades. [​IMG]

i finally received them last week and i am glad to say. they are fantastic. imo, it overrules, that "custom made" shoes are only for one person.

they are on the way to my cobbler to get some bits and pieces done. upon their return, i will rebuild the footbed. a nice alternation, sitting on the balcony and enjoying a sundowner on an golden autumn evening.

ps: cross post from "austro hungarian" & shoe pron

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

crosspost from the shoe damage thread ...

Here are some oldies of mine. Made in USA Cole Haans purchased when I was a wee law student about 10 years ago as my first serious "work" shoes. I remember that they were cordovan colored, but not much else about them. I think they might be corrected grain due to the somewhat unnatural shine which is not from superior polishing skills. Due to the lack of the cordovan-style creasing, I don't suspect them to be cordovan. Regardless of their construction, these are easily my girlfriend's favorite shoes of mine although she's had the opportunity to see plenty of other brands in my closet.

I should note that these have not always had the benefit of proper care, they didn't see shoe trees for the first 8 or so years of their life. They also haven't seen much, if any, wear in the last few years due somewhat to my nostalgia and somewhat to my wandering eye.

Anyone having any information about shoes of these ilk, please feel free to chime in.

With that said, here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

They look to have held up very well considering all those years of service!

14. UnFacconable

They look to have held up very well considering all those years of service!

I'm quite pleased with them. The soles still haven't gone spongy and they should be around for many more years of light wear. Ironically given their humble origins, I find them too precious to abuse as workhorse shoes.

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

I'm quite pleased with them. The soles still haven't gone spongy and they should be around for many more years of light wear. Ironically given their humble origins, I find them too precious to abuse as workhorse shoes.

They look great. Save them for your son.

16. UnFacconable

They look great. Save them for your son.

Ha, great idea but it could be tough to hang onto a pair of shoes for that long (20+ more years) and then convince my son to put down his glow in the dark flotation boots to put on some anachronistic shoes that are made of cow.

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Ha, great idea but it could be tough to hang onto a pair of shoes for that long (20+ more years) and then convince my son to put down his glow in the dark flotation boots to put on some anachronistic shoes that are made of cow.

[​IMG]

18. unjung

unjung Senior member

That's fair, but honestly, I'm 26, and anything my father (65) gives me from when he was my age, I cherish. I would love to have a pair of shoes that he wore when he was young, except they were all hiking boots that he beat the shit out of in the Alps. The older a man gets, the more he appreciates these sorts of things. I won't be saving the first pair of shoes I wore to work, but I now have a few pairs that I will make last to then, if I can.

19. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

^ Cortinas or Marteganis? Great patina.