Shoes with a Navy Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Oct 9, 2011.

What color shoes do you like to wear the most with a Navy suit?

1. Black

22 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Brown

36 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Burgandy

21 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Walnut

13 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

What color shoes do you prefer to wear with a Navy suit?

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Pretty sure this has been bitched about to death with SF lives having been lost in the process.

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Just take a look at "what are you wearing today" mens clothing side and see what others are pairing together.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

4. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

all of them, depends on the cut of the suit and the shade of blue...

5. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

Exactly. A dark, "real" navy blue which is just a shade lighter than midnight blue is perfectly worn with black shoes, the englishmen have a point there. But many dark blue suits today are lighter than that navy blue and contain a hint of purple in it which makes it warmer regarding color temperature. To these types of suits dark brown shoes do complement better than black ones. A great addition to all dark blues are burgundy shoes.

Therefore besides walnut (which I think of being ostentatious as an addition to dark blue suits) there is not much possible external help, look at the color of your actual suit and decide by yourself.

6. jones12

jones12 Well-Known Member

black is a safe bet.

7. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Also depends where you're going and what you're doing. For a more formal event and/or an evening do, surely it has to black in spite of the brown obsession of some on here (I swear someone from here is going to wear brown shoes to a funeral sooner or later). If you're working somewhere where brown is ok, then go for it.

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

+1 - Wear black shoes at night and to funerals.

I've had some protracted discussions around here with some 'children' who insist that black shoes are just not to be worn under any circumstances. They are so brainwashed by some sort of fashion maven group think.

During the day in business situations wear any color you like if they look good with the shade of the ensemble.

But at night and funerals the rules of SOCIETY still apply.

9. dieselman89

Basically I will try to rotate with the shoes I have. 1 black, 1 burgandy, 1 brown, 1 walnut. I don't like to wear my walnut to work since they are AE Strands and I try to wear them on limited occasions b/c shoes tend to get beat up at work. I obviously need another pair of shoes, probaly another pair of black or burgandy. I have been thinking if i''s considered acceptable to wear a medium-brown with an a medium navy.

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

+1

I don't even know where these people get these ideas. Black shoes are perfectly fine with a navy suit, and not just at night-time and to funerals. Brown may be more interesting in most cases, but a good black shoe can look just as good, and certainly isn't wrong.

11. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

I'd have thought so. Sounds like you could do with another pair of black but it does depend on your circumstances.

Brown shoes might look more interesting as items and clearly SF can get a bit onanistic about such matters, but the obsession seems to override appropriateness and outfit which is just childish.

12. dieselman89

Yea but black can just be boring. Although it is very versatile, you can wear it with almost several suits. Charcoal/navy/grey...

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Medium brown with medium navy is just fine. I think you can pretty much put whatever brown and navy together that is reasonably similar in value (light/dark).

Hell - this summer I wore light tan shoes and belt with a dark navy suit. I paired them with a grenadine tie of approximately the same shade and it looked pretty swell. Not CBD by any means but I go several compliments on it.

If your current single pair of black shoes are plain black captoes or something suitably simple for the most formal occasions then I personally see no reason why you should have to add another black shoe at this point. Look for another medium to light medium brown in a style you don't already have - or a burgundy/oxblood that is different than your current versions. Variety is good.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Black for formal business or social occasions, otherwise burgundy.

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

so glad to hear this. :nodding: Now I can hold my head high when i wear my black shoes with my navy suits.