1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

shoes trees: sometimes a pain in the ass to remove!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by buyer's remorse, May 31, 2009.

1. buyer's remorse

buyer's remorse Well-Known Member

last night, i wrestled with a shoe tree for over 5 minutes. she was being selfish and would not let me wear my new footwear. i have this same issue with another pair of shoes, and the issue was resolved when i found this shoe tree: [​IMG] the thin heel allowed for a tighter grip and thus greater pulling power, enough to coax the woody beast out of her cave. do any of you gentlemen know where i could procure such shoe trees? i also imagine a fuller heeled sister could be slayed given she possessed a knob: [​IMG] unfortunately, this sister lacks the split toe that i have grown fond of. regards, buyer's remorse

2. buyer's remorse

buyer's remorse Well-Known Member

gentlemen:

would one encounter complications should a knob be fashioned onto a standard shoe tree?

3. Thread Killer

Thread Killer Well-Known Member

I can't say I've ever had trouble removing a shoe tree. I have a variety of branded split-toe shoe trees, all of which follow the same removal pattern: push heel section forward, pull heel section up, remove tree. What kind of trouble were you having?

4. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Was your shoe tree too big for your shoe? That's the only reason I can think of that would result in having a hard time extricating tree from footwear.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I vote this thread at an 11th grade reading level, and a 1st grade intelligence level.

6. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I vote this thread at an 11th grade reading level, and a 1st grade intelligence level.
    lulz

7. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

I agree that the shoe tree you are using is too big for that shoe.
    Shoe trees do come in different sizes and contours,
    so be mindful when choosing the trees.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Over 5 minutes to remove a shoe tree? I've never heard of or had such a problem.

9. cgardel

cgardel Senior member

Sure sounds like the shoe trees are too large for the shoes. If so, they could stretch your shoes, changing the fit.

10. dv3

dv3 Senior member

given the name "buyer's remorse" and the "conundrum" at hand, I image the phrase "oh man...not again" comes squeaking out of this guy's larynx daily

11. Avebury

Avebury Senior member

I once bought a pair of R.M. Williams shoe trees. The female shop assistant aggressively wrestled with the boot and cedar shoe tree, eventually managing to get it in. I feared the boots had been damaged (I feel sorry for the poor fellow who bought them). I opened the box when I got home: the end of the shoe tree had splintered off! Now that takes some doing. She must really have been putting her back into it. Inexperience and/or Time OTM was the likely cause! As an English gent, I must add that I did offer to help, but brushed me aside.

12. Thread Killer

Thread Killer Well-Known Member

please advise.

My previous attempt to advise was met with a baffling, illegible response complete with racial slur. I think you're on your own.

13. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Senior member

Own 44 pairs of shoes and boots that all have trees---never had a problem. Something may be amiss like the cedar may have resin bonding to the shoe. Feel the outside and if it is sticky there you go.

14. manofstyle

manofstyle Senior member

I can't be bothered with shoe trees any more.

15. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

I recently had to use glycerine and freeze a shoe to finally remove a solid block-like shoe tree that had a stuck for three weeks despite the best efforts of myself and my ace cobbler. It became stuck when it adhered to the inside of my Santoni Griffins as a consequence of the alcohol and water that I had used to successfully stretch the shoe's vamp.

I've worn them since after drying, conditioning, polishing and they are perfect.

16. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

I can't be bothered with shoe trees any more.

Blasphemer! [​IMG]

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why would it pain your ass to remove it? I'd think it would be more painful to insert it.

18. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Why would it pain your ass to remove it? I'd think it would be more painful to insert it.
    [​IMG]

19. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior member

When that happens to my I just jam a kitchen knife into the shoe and pry it loose.

20. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I timed my shoe tree removal skillz and the longest it took me was 93 seconds, and that was because I was also having sex while doing it.