• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes too long/big?

BSullivan

Reaction score
Hullo:

I just bought a nice oxford captoe. It is a size 10; I wear a size 10. The shoe, by my amateurish standards, is a little long in the toe. After adding an insert to tighten up the shoe around my skinny foot, it feels pretty good. I was wondering, however, "how long is too long" beyond where your toe sits in the shoe. There was no 9.5 and the store stopped carrying this shoe. Is there a rule or does it not really matter, within reason, so long as one's foot does not slide around in the shoe?

In the picture I've attempted to insert, my toe stops at the toe-end of the business card. Crazy?

Photo63.jpg

Thanks SF. YOU RULE.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have shoes that form-fit my feet, I have shoes that are 2 inches longer than my feet.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The important thing, really, is that the balls of your feet land in the widest part of the shoe and that your toes are not constricted. Given that, I wouldn't concern yourself with whether your toes fill up the toe box.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Not sure there's a rule per se, but if your shoes are too big you run the risk of tripping over your own toes. I have had this happen! But if you're walking okay, and feeling comfortable, I'd say your fine. Nobody can see if your feet are smaller than your shoes.

And if people think your feet are a little larger than they really are... well, you know what they say about the size of a man's feet, so it can't hurt.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the biggest problem is that they get uncomfortalbe because of no roll.

Another problem is that the size of the shoes have to fit with the size of the trouser leg.

skrandhawa

Reaction score
That's not a bad looking shoe. I have a Bostonian Oxford I bought for $50 at an outlet, but of course I prefer the Prada loafers that I own.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
If it is too large you may end up with creases on the toe cap -- not good. Otherwise, if the shoe fits comfortably you are good to go.

BSullivan

Reaction score
Yeah it's not so long that there will be any tripping or other sorts of things. The balls of my feet sit in the widest part; they could perhaps be a millimeter further up, but I think they are decent. Thanks folks.

These shoes are Mezlan. On sale for $175 at a local place that is no longer carrying them.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BSullivan
These shoes are Mezlan. On sale for $175 at a local place that is no longer carrying them.

Mezlan?

butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif

May you never return to this thread if you love your new shoes.

Wrath, you may now ensue.

BSullivan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
Mezlan?

butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif

May you never return to this thread if you love your new shoes.

Wrath, you may now ensue.

RUH ROH

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BSullivan
RUH ROH

But seriously, this forum may disfavor Mezlans -- especially at that price point, but if you like them and treat them well with trees and polish, they will likely serve you well.

And by photo, they do look quite good. Spanish built Mezlans, IMHO, are better than a subline made in Mexico/India J&M or Cole Haan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads