• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes too brown for a grey suit? Help! Pic included

viper24

Reaction score
I know this brown shoe/ grey suit thing can get you as many answers as people you ask, so I figured it would be best to include a pic. Its the usual wedding thing. Are these shoes too brown for the suit? Will it look too flashy, or does it just clash too much? I could just be safe and wear black shoes, but brown seems much less boring. I'm really looking for thoughts the shoes, but welcome and all comments and suggestions.

Suit: Merdium to charcoal grey pinstripe
Shirt: Light pink
Tie: Navy with light blue diagonal pattern
Shoes: The ones pictured, or black ones?

IMG00163-20110517-0000.jpg

Chrenetique

Reaction score
No brown shoes for a wedding. Only black.

No striped suit for a wedding. Only solids.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brown shoes and pinstripe are not appropriate for a wedding.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would only wear pinstripes for work related events... I do like brown shoes with charcoal though. Medium to light grey not so much.

And, yeah, for wedding the whole lot need to be reconsidered.

viper24

Reaction score
Interesting. Is that because pinstripes are too business-like? And yes, I realize the pic isn't great, I using what I have to work with here. Anyway, my suit collection isn't exactly extensive, so... solid navy it is? And with black shoes apparently... better?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Wow, all these stupid rules. OP, looks fine. If it's anything like the weddings I've been invited to you'll be one of the few in a suit and tie.

Patek14

Reaction score
I dont think anybody is going to care if your suit has subtle pin stripes. But a mid grey suit with brown shoes might look a little light/out of place at a wedding, dunno. Maybe if its summer and outdoors, dunno

But, wedding ettiquite aside, the color of those shoes are fine w/ the suit IMO. However, purists might not support wearing split toe derbies with a suit...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viper24
Interesting. Is that because pinstripes are too business-like? And yes, I realize the pic isn't great, I using what I have to work with here. Anyway, my suit collection isn't exactly extensive, so... solid navy it is? And with black shoes apparently... better?

Yes, navy suit with black shoes will be a much better choice for a wedding.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I would only wear pinstripes for work related events... I do like brown shoes with charcoal though. Medium to light grey not so much.

I'm the opposite. The lighter the gray, the more likely I am to go with brown shoes (and then, only dark brown.) With charcoal, I'd always pick black shoes.

Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Wow, all these stupid rules. OP, looks fine. If it's anything like the weddings I've been invited to you'll be one of the few in a suit and tie.

True, but he's probably posting here to figure out those rules. You're right in that most people won't care. But OP, since you're asking this question on a forum like this, for the next wedding a solid suit with black shoes and a black belt would be more... correct, for lack of a better word. Pinstripes scream business suit.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rules are rules...

I would go for darker shoes to start with.

Charcoal requires black shoes in general or very very dark brown...

If you turn up in a wedding wearing a pinstriped suit , most people wouldn't notice it anyway...

jamaican

Reaction score
I'd say brown shoes are fine for a wedding... Black shoes only for a wedding is a rule to break whenever possible! Perhaps a brown Oxford (closed lacing shoe) would look slicker. However, I agree that generally pin stripes are associated with business. J

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yes, navy suit with black shoes will be a much better choice for a wedding.

+1^^^.
(There is nothing flashy about the original outfit.)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Charcoal requires black shoes in general or very very dark brown...

I like wearing tan shoes with my charcoal suit...though the suit is probably a slightly lighter grey than most that would be called 'charcoal'.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere

+1

Wtf kind of rules are you guys selling anyway? Nobody does that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads