Shoes to match suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FLMountainMan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Before I visited this forum, I wore black shoes with all my suits. Since reading more, I have tried to incorporate a pair of dark burgundy shoes I have but I really can't seem to match any lighter shoes & belts with gray, navy, and pinstriped versions of those suits.
    Could I please get a few suggestions?

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Before I visited this forum, I wore black shoes with all my suits. Since reading more, I have tried to incorporate a pair of dark burgundy shoes I have but I really can't seem to match any lighter shoes & belts with gray, navy, and pinstriped versions of those suits.
    Could I please get a few suggestions?

Dark brown - along the lines of EG's Dark Oak color - pairs very well with navy. "Regular" (for want of a better word) brown, I have found, goes well with charcoal suits. Lighter tan shoes and belts seem to go well with mid-to-light gray.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Black Suits - Black shoes, or dark burgundy. Perhaps brown, if you feel you are dapper enough to pull it off.

Charcoal Gray Suits - Black shoes, burgundy shoes, or dark brown shoes. Lighter brown shoes can also work, but are definitely not a conservative choice.

Light Gray Suits - Black shoes (though I don't prefer this choice), medium brown shoes, light brown/British tan shoes, or perhaps burgundy.

The following images were lifted from the Sartorialist's site ( http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/ ), I hope he doesn't mind:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I've learned you cant go wrong with brown. I think what VersaceMan said is pretty aceurate