• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes to match suits

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Before I visited this forum, I wore black shoes with all my suits. Since reading more, I have tried to incorporate a pair of dark burgundy shoes I have but I really can't seem to match any lighter shoes & belts with gray, navy, and pinstriped versions of those suits.
Could I please get a few suggestions?

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Before I visited this forum, I wore black shoes with all my suits. Since reading more, I have tried to incorporate a pair of dark burgundy shoes I have but I really can't seem to match any lighter shoes & belts with gray, navy, and pinstriped versions of those suits.
Could I please get a few suggestions?

Dark brown - along the lines of EG's Dark Oak color - pairs very well with navy. "Regular" (for want of a better word) brown, I have found, goes well with charcoal suits. Lighter tan shoes and belts seem to go well with mid-to-light gray.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Suits - Black shoes, or dark burgundy. Perhaps brown, if you feel you are dapper enough to pull it off.

Charcoal Gray Suits - Black shoes, burgundy shoes, or dark brown shoes. Lighter brown shoes can also work, but are definitely not a conservative choice.

Light Gray Suits - Black shoes (though I don't prefer this choice), medium brown shoes, light brown/British tan shoes, or perhaps burgundy.

The following images were lifted from the Sartorialist's site ( http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/ ), I hope he doesn't mind:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've learned you cant go wrong with brown. I think what VersaceMan said is pretty aceurate

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40