• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes to go with a Charcoal Suit that will also go good with jeans?

Pat

Reaction score
I have a charcoal TaT suit on the way, and need some shoes to go with it. What color should I go with? Any recomedations on a pair that will also look good with jeans? This is my first suit, and I have never bought a nice pair of dress shoes before. I want something nice, but not toooo expensive. Maybe $250 or so.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
generally, i try to keep those 2 domains apart, because what you'll end up doing is compromising on both sides, settling for something that looks mediocre each way. there are many many other threads of this nature if you just use that search button, located near the top right side.

good luck!

Wicky

Reaction score
I wear my cognac color Santoni´s both with a (charcoal and/or nay blue) suit and with jeans. Totally different look, same shoes.

lithium180

Reaction score
I also have a pair of cognac colored shoes (oxford captoes) that I find works well with both suits and jeans. Cognac is a nice color and with a cognac belt, makes a nice combo that's a little less common with a suit.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#8 Alden shell NST
Alden Ravello shell PTB

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm far from the most conservative/traditional guy on these boards, but as far as I'm concerned, a shoe like that just doesn't exist.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
How would you describe your casual/jeans look? I have some sleek boots that look good with a 60s slim-fit suit like TaT and say dior jeans, a tee and a DH or similar jacket.

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Well, I would say a nice brown Chelsea boot...but Spring time is around the corner and I don't know if people wear Chelsea boots in the spring?

You might be able to find a good pair on sale for your price range.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'd either say a pair of Chelsea boots or maybe a pair of gunboat type wingtips in brown.

Something like this perhaps?

mshoes8a.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the good shoe for $250 is not a theoretical question, since no good shoes exist at that full retail.

it is a practical question. what good shoes are on sale right now for <$250?

there are always some, esp. by allen edmonds.

suit and denim is a wide range, but it would not be hard to find something halfway that is versatile and would be of use for a long time. maybe a plain toe blucher. or a monk.

in terms of color, it has to be brown i think. i am another guy who is a big fan of the light-orange-brown shoes (colors like cognac) and i think they look great with dark raw denim. but so does dark brown. any dark brown will do. calf or suede.

you may be a week or two too late, but the ae mora in suede and dark brown has been on sale at the outlets (and to some extent on line) for $150-$200. monks do not fit everyone real well, so ymmv

you could call the shoe mart and ask what they have now in alden seconds in your size. google the shoe mart to get the phone number. i think they are $250 for calf generally

then i'd look at the alden shop specials drawer to see what's available. i am not sure how often they restock this part of the website, but the offering were better a month ago. there are a bunch of shoes that could work ok with both a suit and denim. for example

some will say that rubber soles and bluchers do not look good with a suit, but this is widely done and it's doubtful you'll be in company that notices such things. there are worse sartorial crimes. at your price point, you need to get the best shoe you can, and you will be limited to what's on sale i think

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads